gator skull from last year

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

IMG00053-20100819-1304.jpg

This is a skull from one of last years gators. 7ft. Small but our first. Finally got around to doing it. We're going back out the next 2 nights to try and fill our tags

Wow, how did you get it so clean? A friend of mine got a croc head that had been treated with Formalin (skin is still on). He has it soaking in water but the skin will not soften. I suggested peroxide but that's a he!! of a lot of peroxide to use. Can you suggest anything?

Step by step here's what I did: 2pm yesterday took it straight from the freezer to a pot of boiling water on a turkey frier burner. Boil for 3 hrs pulling occassionaly to remove skin and meat. Once mostly done pull out, use a dental pick to clean cavities out. Then put in peroxide overnight. This am I took it out and took a water hose nozzel to it. Have a ziplock bag handy because teeth come out or loose. To try to keep teeth in hold them sown with your hand as use use the nozzel. Then pick the loose stuff around the teeth with the pick. Set in the sun with a fan on it to dry, then use elmer school glue to replace teeth and any loose bone parts. Let the glu dry. Its not too bad, but boiled gator meat STINKS!!!!!!!!

Thats the way I've done deer skulls. Except they are a little greasy from fat and I add a little dawn dishwashing liquid to the boiling pot to cut the grease.

Yeah, its pretty standard for euro mounts, just more teeth to deal with.
IMG00056-20100819-1915.jpg

This is how it will finish up. I'm going to take shell casing from the bangstick, polish it, and use the casing to prop the mouth open. Better presentation I think

Yep. We tried to get an extra tag or 2 but they were gone.that's ok cuz they aren't cooperating this year. Going back out the next 2 nights. Hopefully we have better luck

Latest posts