Gate hinges

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
One of my bulls who may be getting a new address soon started throwing gates off hinges recently.
I know a lot of folks turn the top hinge down to prevent that from happening but I happened to think"Why not drill a hole across the pin part of the hinge and put on a washer and cotter key?" I think it would serve the same purpose and be easily removed with pliars should you need the gate off hinge.

I like that idea. It seems like with those gate hinges turned down, invariably they work loose and gates drop off.

JW IN VA said:
One of my bulls who may be getting a new address soon started throwing gates off hinges recently.
I know a lot of folks turn the top hinge down to prevent that from happening but I happened to think"Why not drill a hole across the pin part of the hinge and put on a washer and cotter key?" I think it would serve the same purpose and be easily removed with pliars should you need the gate off hinge.

Most of the gates I have are Priefert gates and the hinge will protrude through the hoop part on the gate enough to drill and install cotter key.

I drilled holes and put pins in on my gates. Don't have a bull though so I'm not sure how well they would actually hold up

Top hinge should be upside down. If installed correctly I've never had one come loose. They do make a hinge that has a little protruding tit on it though. You install the gate open and it slides over the tit, when closed it can't slide up past the tit.

Cotter pin will work but is extra work and stuff to keep up with during install. I'd loose the pin first time I took it out too.

JW IN VA said:

I've done it both ways and both work just as good. Only benefit I've found is if u have the pin drill cotter pin way it's easier to hang gates by yourself if u need to take them off for some reason. Every time it seems I need to hang gates it's by myself

I build my own hinges, but I'm about out of free material. A huge lag bolt, with a bolt welded to the end. I can then thread a nut on the bolt to hold the gate down.

True Grit Farms said:

I use a washer and drill a hole in the gate pins. I think it helps support the gate at the point of the most leverage.

That's exactly what I had in mind. :nod: Guess there's no getting rich off a patent for me. :roll: :D

Turn the top gate pin facing down and install as designed. The Preifert and other tube gates allow for the top hinge loop pinch bolt on the gate to be loosened with nothing more than a crescent wrench or 9/16 wrench, slid down the tube a little & off the pin and you can then remove the gate easily.
No need for a cotterpin.

greybeard said:
Turn the top gate pin facing down and install as designed. The Preifert and other tube gates allow for the top hinge loop pinch bolt on the gate to be loosened with nothing more than a crescent wrench or 9/16 wrench, slid down the tube a little & off the pin and you can then remove the gate easily.
No need for a cotterpin.

Even with the pinch bolt tightened to the point of bending the gate they will sometimes work theirselves down. Especially with a 16' gate. I really don't understand how. But I've got a couple that will sure do it.

JMJ Farms said:
greybeard said:
No need for a cotterpin.

Even with the pinch bolt tightened to the point of bending the gate they will sometimes work theirselves down. Especially with a 16' gate. I really don't understand how. But I've got a couple that will sure do it.

Self tapping screw through the strap into the gate frame.

JMJ Farms said:
greybeard said:
No need for a cotterpin.

[/quote

Reason #1,000,002 to have fencing pliers in everything that gets driven on the Farm/Ranch= to beat those pesky top gate straps back up once or twice a year. :D

callmefence said:
JMJ Farms said:
greybeard said:
No need for a cotterpin.

Self tapping screw through the strap into the gate frame.
I've done this as well, on any gate that is used a lot.

Maybe they have stronger gravity some places than I have here.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/61N5xZRy7dwqJmfv7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qN9y8iZpQGmFEDLw5

Properly installed gates have no screws, straps, or bolts. Hinges should be 90 degrees to fence so gate can open and store out of the way.
Latch end should close against post.
Just like properly stretched wire never needs to be tightened. Properly hung gates never need adjustment
Except in cases of severe trama.lol

I'll agree that it's best to always hang gates is like fence says, especially gates that stay open most of the time. However Sometimes it's necessary to hang them to swing both ways for cattle flow or feeding reasons. The one thing we all do consistently were I'm from is install them in a mud hole.

Lucky said:
I'll agree that it's best to always hang gates is like fence says, especially gates that stay open most of the time. However Sometimes it's necessary to hang them to swing both ways for cattle flow or feeding reasons. The one thing we all do consistently were I'm from is install them in a mud hole.

Agreed. A heavy traffic walk gate is a example of gate that should swing both ways. So you you don't have to back up to get it open.

Latest posts