Gas mileage

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Does anyone know any ways to get better gas mileage out of your car? I was looking at all those bottles of "gas additives" that boast better performance and better gas mileage and was wondering if any of it is actually true. Also I've seen those open box air filter designs that say they will also boost gas mileage. I drive a '04 mustang which gets around 23-25 mpg last time I checked and I'm driving on average 110 miles per day. I'm filling up about 3 times per week and I'm spending about $480.00 a month on gas. I don't want to get a different car since this one's about paid off anyway.

The high flow air filters will help but not near as much as just keeping the tires properly inflated.

I think that most of the 'miracle additives' have been shown to be little more than 'snake oil'. What I've read about the air filter is that it is only marginal at best. I think that routine maintenance - especially checking tire pressure - and driving sensibly will probably yield the best results. My old pick up has a ton of miles and I can still squeeze almost 20 mpg from it.

Get that piece of lead off the gas pedal, proper tune up, inflated tires. You are to young to remember 55 MPH speed limits during the Arab oil embargo it was to save fuel. Believe you me you were trying then on top of prices doubling it was being rationed as well, ten gallons only at a fill up and every other day.
You are right on one thing Sid you can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new car when you don't need one.

I haven't seen anything that makes a noticeable improvement. On one of my diesel pickups I put an open air filter, a chip and opened up the exhaust. Got a bit more power out of it and gained a whopping 1 mpg. Then I put a bale bed on it and dropped 4 mpg.

CB about hit it all. Can't do much with new cars. Keep the tires aired up and the foot off the gas. One of the biggest savings I have found is not racing to the next red light. As soon as I see the light turn red I'm off the gas. Hopefully the light will turn green before you have to stop. Stopping/ starting kills gas mileage. With an old car (non computer) Changing the jets in the carb and adjusting the timing would help a lot also.

Have read a few articles about adding acetone to the gas. Supposedly gives a little kick to your mileage. There are several interesting articles about on the web.

cfpinz":2am7yivs said:
I haven't seen anything that makes a noticeable improvement. On one of my diesel pickups I put an open air filter, a chip and opened up the exhaust. Got a bit more power out of it and gained a whopping 1 mpg. Then I put a bale bed on it and dropped 4 mpg.

For better mileage you need to feed your wife better so she can push harder

Like has already been said.

Regular tune-ups, properly inflated tires, driving 65-70mph, and if you are going to add any thing that Lucas stuff that comes in the big bottle. Treats like 100 gallons of gas for $12 will pay for its self. I get 1-2mpg better running it.

I just bought a little '99, GMC, single cab, short bed, 4wd, manual shift, with the small V8 (4.8L). I am getting around 20-21 mpgs. :banana:

Thanks ya'll, that's pretty much what I thought. I just turned over 100,000 miles on it last month so it wouldn't be worth the $$$ to trade it in. I do tend to have a heavy foot at times but when it's late I just want to get home. I typicaly set the cruise at 65 when I'm on the highway but once I get into town it's stop and go. Takes 1/2 of my drive time to go 1/4 of the total distance.

I got a superchip tuner for my truck and I have noticed about a 3-4mpg difference when I've got it tuned to the highest setting but you can't pull a trailer and I don't drive it anymore unless there's a trailer hooked to it so that does me no good at all. Anyone used Powerservice in their diesel? I've used that before, didn't really notice much of a difference. I just bought a jug of the Lucas but haven't ran a tank through yet.

dun":28hscuab said:
cfpinz":28hscuab said:

For better mileage you need to feed your wife better so she can push harder

If I lived on a hill like yours I could pop it into neutral and drift into town!

KScowman":24wlso33 said:
I disagree with all of you . I happen to use a fuel additive that is increasing my milage about 4 1/2 miles per gallon. two oz per tank full, and away I go.

if you want more info, just pm me.

Oh Geez. Is this another sales pitch? If so, go away, would ya? Thanks in advance for trying not to sell anything else on these boards.

All the folks are complaining about the fuel prices so what is the general public doing about it!

I hauled some cows over to the USDA plant for processing last week 90 miles one way on state roads in two states. I maintained 55 mph top speed and I was passed by every vehicle on the road except for another guy who was hauling his cows and I followed him for 40 miles before he turned off.
The looks from my fellow motorists made me laugh at the lack of understanding of our replacement generations...at least my kids know that speed and driving habits are related to fuel consumption. I laugh when I see a fella in a hurry to pass me, then race right up to the stop sign, stop quickly and and then get going as fast as he can, right up to the next stop...and I seem to be pulling up right behind them the whole way. Probably saved at least a minute or two and complains about his monster rig getting 8 mpg, about the same as my old ford diesel pulling a loaded stock trailer.
Oh yeah...I well remember gas rationing and the 55 mph speed limit.
Seems that with my advancing state of maturity I find myself driving slower and enjoying the ride more than I used to...or it could be that I just have to stop and water the trees more often these days.
And that's just my two bits worth...asked for or not....Dave Mc

Latest posts