Galloway-Highland heat tolerance?

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on what the southern (climate) limits would be for the long-haired breeds like Galloway and Highland?

I have read some information that says Galloways carry less backfat than some other breeds as a result of their two-layer coats. Supposedly when they shed their winter coats they are just as heat tolerant as other British breeds.

I find this a bit difficult to believe.

I've seen websites from Galloway breeders in Kansas. Anyone see them in warmer summer climates than that?

Check the American Galloway Association's website. They have a membership list so you could find some in southern locales and ask them directly.

The American Highland Association lists members all over the southern states including Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. Don't know about the Galloways. Boone

I have 4 Highland cows here in Central NC. They do fine in the heat. They stay in the woods a lot.

They seem to LOVE Poison Ivey vines. They've really cleaned up a rough patch of bottom that we have here. Russell

There are also Galloways and Belted Galloways across the south including Texas, Alabama, Florida. There are also animals in Africa.

I am a hobby farmer who has two full sized belteds and five miniature Belteds here in far southern Missouri (1 1/2 miles from Arkansas line). We rent pasture to a local commercial Angus rancher who runs 25-30 cows and their calves in with ours.

During the warmest most humid days of summer I did not notice the Belteds being more affected than the Angus. In fact, on many days the Angus seemed to take to the ponds before our Belteds and more often.

Latest posts