Update Scottish Highland Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dapsie

Reaction score
Hi, this is an update and a thankyou for your interest in our highland problem. So, we went to court and won. Yayy! I could find no information at all for Highlands regarding size of newborn calves. So, I have so many pictures, and here all cows have to have eartags. So, we measured the eartag in relation to the size of the calf (obviously alive), and we averaged a crown rump length of 76cms, (30 inches), far short of 92cms in the last third trimester. We had a great Judge, she listened and found there was no way our cow could have had a baby that big when born, let alone a minimum of 1 month early. And there really was no evidence against us, scary. So now we will preg test every cow before slaughter when needed. A big thankyou for answering me and showing an interest. :clap: :D

Great news, i so glad there is still some common sense left in the world. Well done on gathering all the information you did and presenting a strong case. Thank you for the update.

Thanks for the update. People making laws about things they know nothing about. Animals have more rights than humans.

See post Scottish Highland Calf, basically in Germany it is illegal to slaughter a pregnant cow in the last third trimester. We were accused of doing so, there was no proof at all, but we went to court and proved our case. They said that a foetus of 92cms was found and it belonged to us. We proved that it was not possible for one of our cows to have a live baby that size, let alone one four weeks or more early. The Judge agreed. It was major stressful, if we had done it, ok. But we knew we hadn't. Justice prevails!