Black hided cattle struggling with this heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Read the first paragraph of this report.
People in the Middle East have been specifically buying red/white Holsteins rather than black/white because they do better in the heat. It doesn't surprise me that black cattle are dying at higher rates in heat.

Am I missing something? Nothing in that article has anything to do with color except for one sentence thrown in there by the author, but there's nothing in there to substantiate that sentence. I mean, I think we all know black cattle have a harder time in the heat, but thats not what the article is about.

Am I missing something? Nothing in that article has anything to do with color except for one sentence thrown in there by the author, but there's nothing in there to substantiate that sentence. I mean, I think we all know black cattle have a harder time in the heat, but thats not what the article is about.
That one sentence was the whole purpose of my original post.

Google dead cattle in Kansas heat wave. I think they said over 10,000 head in the feedlots and 400 cows have died. There is a video of a guy driving down a road with black cows stacked like wood.

Whether or not any on this forum believes otherwise the movement away from black hided cattle has already began.
I sincerely hope the level does not tilt too far as we need quality throughout our industry.
One can be reasonably certain some of the (dead from heat) black cattle will be replaced with a different color.

Maybe we can start giving a premium on quality cattle instead of their color? I don't have anything against black but when I replaced my herd I said I was going with the best I can find this time regardless of color and for my area the best I could find were red although most cattle around here are black.

I would love to have went with a red angus bull as well but instead I have a black bull and while I think he is a decent bull, I'd rather of had a red one from where I bought my heifers.

Whether or not any on this forum believes otherwise the movement away from black hided cattle has already began.
I sincerely hope the level does not tilt too far as we need quality throughout our industry.
One can be reasonably certain some of the (dead from heat) black cattle will be replaced with a different color.
I agree. Every single breed is chasing meat quality. Red Angus is coming back here and they are pushing the meat quality. I'm glad for it and it can't come soon enough.

Even the Angus guys are pushing to "run our bulls"... you don't have to use the cows. They are working with other breeds to show what their bulls can add for terminal crosses.

Last edited:
It's definitely going to be harder on feed lot cattle, there's no green, doesn't look like there's much for shade, and the worst part of it is they're FAT, Black hides are only a contributing factor. Largely a management problem from what I see.
The temps, while perhaps unusual for Kansas really aren't anything to write home about otherwise.

It is not only black hided cattle although they are more susceptible to heat stress, but British and European breeds as a whole, which struggle with heat stress. Some breeds cope better than others - Murray Grey, Sussex and some Shorthorn strains for example, but the long term solution is to develop suitable composites to bring in heat adapted traits, while not compromising on performance or beef quality - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/f...need-for-african-breed-composites-in-the-usa-

It is not only black hided cattle although they are more susceptible to heat stress, but British and European breeds as a whole, which struggle with heat stress. Some breeds cope better than others - Murray Grey, Sussex and some Shorthorn strains for example, but the long term solution is to develop suitable composites to bring in heat adapted traits, while not compromising on performance or beef quality - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/f...need-for-african-breed-composites-in-the-usa-

Like Brangus?

Latest posts