Black hided cattle struggling with this heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Like Brangus?
Where established composites are not docked, there is no reason to change, though a rancher with a large commercial herd over several properties added 25% Red Tuli to his herd 20+ years ago to improve some performance traits. Where "eared" cattle are docked, but summer heat can be a problem, Sanga breeds are an option to consider.

The Mashona evolved in a far hotter climate than European Taurus so it is no surprise that they, and their crosses have not been affected from the information I have from the main breeders in the USA, they do come in red as well in the USA, but only these two solid colours were imported.

Polar bears, and Cape buffalo both have black hides, but yet both live at different ends of the temperature scale, why is that?
At high humidity, and high temperature it doesn't matter what color they're, fat cattle are going to keel over without shade.

Polar bears, and Cape buffalo both have black hides, but yet both live at different ends of the temperature scale, why is that?
At high humidity, and high temperature it doesn't matter what color they're, fat cattle are going to keel over without shade.
Says humidity was 18 to 38 percent. That's a far cry from high humidity.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Now if you can just find enough people who can tell the color of the cow by the
taste of the meat, or make a run up to Churchill and pick up some Polar burgers!

Right now here in KY it's 4:45 pm temperature 93, high was 95, humidity is currently 50% was 68 % around noon.
Heat index currently 103*.
Our cows are hot both red and black the last few days. They are in the shade early and don't venture out till late in the evening. I can see where fat cattle would be at risk especially without shade.
I've always said a lot of the country could benefit from having some ear on their cattle.

It's definitely going to be harder on feed lot cattle, there's no green, doesn't look like there's much for shade, and the worst part of it is they're FAT, Black hides are only a contributing factor. Largely a management problem from what I see.
The temps, while perhaps unusual for Kansas really aren't anything to write home about otherwise.
Cattle on a grain diet produce less internal heat than cattle on a forage diet.

I agree. Every single breed is chasing meat quality. Red Angus is coming back here and they are pushing the meat quality. I'm glad for it and it can't come soon enough.

Even the Angus guys are pushing to "run our bulls"... you don't have to use the cows. They are working with other breeds to show what their bulls can add for terminal crosses.
The whole CA program has been about selling bulls from the beginning... and no care for the consequences. Now we have black Herefords for Christ sake because black hides mean higher prices... although red hide cattle are routinely skinned and labeled "certified BA" as they are packaged. And the lack of genetic diversity infecting the entire industry as people "acquire" black genetics in traditionally not black cattle is biting producers with birth defects and inbreeding. Artificial insemination means black bulls are produced right along with black replacement heifers. I'm surprised we haven't seen black Charolais yet.
Genetic diversity is important.

Latest posts