Future weather

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Drought is one of my least favorite words and I was optimistic we would get some relief this winter but I was watching Ag Day on RFD this morning and they said the drought was intensifying across the USA and the future did not look bright. We haven't had rain in 2 months and my wheat is sure lookin bad, my plans for buying stockers are changing because I was counting on the wheat to carry them to spring, sure getting hard to operate. :bang:

Here too--Driest Oct/Nov I can remember, and if next Spring doesn't bring a lot of rain, I'm going to have to invest in a well and windmill at the very least.

We've had almost 2" in the last 2 months and almost all of it was at the first of October. Our water source lake is 9' low and we're seeing bottom in the north end. Lots of guys around here have planted wheat but most of it is dead.

Grey... Have you priced the cost of a well & windmill? Most of the lakes around here are low, and some been that way for almost two years. If this Spring doesnt produce good amounts of rainfall, we are all going to be in a big hurt.

The weather guessers never really know - - but the crop farmer mags have some newer non nino Atlantic/Pacific temperature theory to support that next year will be wetter. ;-)
I stocked up on hay as much as I could, baled the corn stocks, and are now getting ready for some good old hard cull'in.

We had the driest August/Sept on record. From July 22 until about Oct 12 we had 0.02 inches of rain. Since then the sky has opened up and I think I have seen the sun one time. And we are far enough north that rain this time of year does no good at all.

Last winter it started raining in Dec and we had the best winter and spring grasses I have ever seen, the farmers make record breaking crops from the underground moisture from the winter. Some times good winter rain is our savior.

I can't say one way or another whether we are experiencing climate change man made or other, but i can tell you we have seen heat and drought like i have not seen in my lifetime.
I just watched some home video of my dad when he was a kid and i have never seen my grandparents home place as green as it was back then

cowboy43":2imncr4u said:
Last winter it started raining in Dec and we had the best winter and spring grasses I have ever seen, the farmers make record breaking crops from the underground moisture from the winter. Some times good winter rain is our savior.

Yeah, our big one came in March and covered about 1/3 of my place with a couple feet of floodwater. That, soaked in real good and helped a lot, and a couple good rains afterwards, but July was the last month we got real rain here. Ryegrass finlly came up at last, but dried out and died.
Dunno whether to try spreading out some more or not this late.

No rain here since the 2nd week of September. I planted Oats and Clover and had a he77 of a stand and its pretty much gone now.

Latest posts