If only the weather will cooperate

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
If the weather will cooperate this should be some good hay. I'm doing an experiment to see just how cheap I can make hay and am not sure if its the experiment or the unseasonable rains that should get credit. I could have let it go another week but I saw some army worms and it looks like we will have a dry window so I pulled the trigger.

20429736_1752398388391386_5418425927180233781_n.jpg

OP
Jogeephus

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Bright Raven":1jduiq5x said:
I think you planned wisely. But you know what they say about the best laid plan....

Only a 20% chance of rain for the next few days so .......yeah.....its gonna rain about day Tuesday when I need to be baling it.

kd4au

Reaction score
If you saw army worms you did the right thing cutting, they can ruin a hay field over night. What kind of hay is that? Looks good.

OP
Jogeephus

Jogeephus

Reaction score
kd4au":1w862u9f said:
If you saw army worms you did the right thing cutting, they can ruin a hay field over night. What kind of hay is that? Looks good.

Its Tift 85. Ideally I'd let it grow another week but I'm afraid to risk it because all I have is midquality hay and I need some feed hay. This should be some really high quality hay if I can get it up.

Bigfoot, this is my second year doing this and don't want to say much because its a sweet deal but the supply is limited so I need to keep it under my hat. I once shared some info on a dirt cheap grain source only to have the rug pulled out from under me by the person I shared the info with so I'm hesitant to say much other than shouldn't have more than $8/roll in this hay.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Jogeephus":z2x9o0nl said:
kd4au":z2x9o0nl said:

Its Tift 85. Ideally I'd let it grow another week but I'm afraid to risk it because all I have is midquality hay and I need some feed hay. This should be some really high quality hay if I can get it up.

Bigfoot, this is my second year doing this and don't want to say much because its a sweet deal but the supply is limited so I need to keep it under my hat. I once shared some info on a dirt cheap grain source only to have the rug pulled out from under me by the person I shared the info with so I'm hesitant to say much other than shouldn't have more than $8/roll in this hay.

I completely understand.