Fun Time at Expo

Help Support CattleToday:

Franke

Reaction score

One Eyed Jack sale heifer

I-80 sale heifer

The best part of the weekend was giving this heifer away to a young man and getting to mentor him the next year with her.

Franke said:

I-80 sale heifer

The best part of the weekend was giving this heifer away to a young man and getting to mentor him the next year with her.

How was the heifer awarded? And what are the conditions for mentoring? We have a similar arrangement at the County level.

Bright Raven said:
Franke said:

I-80 sale heifer

How was the heifer awarded? And what are the conditions for mentoring? We have a similar arrangement at the County level.

The program is called the Minnesota Youth Beef Experience Program (MYBEP). We as a state Simmental association have individuals step up and donate a heifer or two heifers each year. The kids write applications and get letters of recommendations as well as showing a drive and need for a heifer. There were 29 I think this year that put Simmental as their 1st or 2nd choice. We score them along with the Beef Expo council and one is chosen. The young people receive the heifer and some feed and clippers and semen, but have to give status reports and keep logs every day. They come back with the heifers the next year and compete in showmanship and they compete for a grand prize. We as mentors give advice and guidance. Answer questions and help in anyway we can. This year there were two Simmentals donated and a third bought on the sale for this program. I believe 12 or 13 heifers were given away this year. Sorry for the long post but it is truly a great program.

It was a fun show. Nice meeting you guys and seeing your cattle. I really liked that jack heifer.

I should add that the kid is lucky he got you as a mentor. You have helped me with a lot of questions.

Franke said:
Bright Raven said:
Franke said:

I-80 sale heifer

The program is called the Minnesota Youth Beef Experience Program (MYBEP). We as a state Simmental association have individuals step up and donate a heifer or two heifers each year. The kids write applications and get letters of recommendations as well as showing a drive and need for a heifer. There were 29 I think this year that put Simmental as their 1st or 2nd choice. We score them along with the Beef Expo council and one is chosen. The young people receive the heifer and some feed and clippers and semen, but have to give status reports and keep logs every day. They come back with the heifers the next year and compete in showmanship and they compete for a grand prize. We as mentors give advice and guidance. Answer questions and help in anyway we can. This year there were two Simmentals donated and a third bought on the sale for this program. I believe 12 or 13 heifers were given away this year. Sorry for the long post but it is truly a great program.

Thank you. That is a great program. Congratulations.

Latest posts