Full Prolapse *pic warning* Things that make you go ???

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Let me tell you, when this happened it traumatized me. This cow had been in labor with no progress for 2 hours. It was a mile walk to the corrals, so we saddled up and got her there. She was unable to get the head out after 2 hours of pushing, usually i would never ever attempt. But for some reason we did. I remember it was one of the hardest pulls we'd ever done. She stood in the chute the whole time, calf came out alive. I went down and tended to the calf. Husband pulled the bar out from behind the cow and started letting everything open to let her out in the pen she's in in the picture. When he pulled the bar out, she sat down. This was right next to me and i felt something big and wet hit my shoulder. Thinking it was the afterbirth, i looked around to laugh that it splatted all over me. But, when i realized it wasnt the afterbirth but rather ALL her reproductive organ, yeah, i was traumatized.. :shock: . Bless her heart, we hurried her to the vet where someone had just brought in some scraggly longhorns to get dehorned. For some reason our vet did not stop what he was doing and this poor girl stood there hours. She did recover but not after enduring a bad infection. It was a long couple months but she recovered. Sold her along with the weanlings in the fall.

We dont pull many calves, but when we do i make dang sure they never sit after the calf is out..

I really dont remember, maybe around 100. It was a heifer, so that was kind of weird too...

had a heifer do that same thing last week, pulled calf & took ropes off of calf &put on 4 wheeler. when I turned around she had the whole works out. went straight to house to get needle & spouse to help she actually layed right there while we pushed them back in

WOW! As hard as it is to see, it is so educational!
I would have been "traumatized" also cowgirl! It is pretty amazing what they can have happen, and still heal up from it!
Jerry, is your heifer doing ok now also?

No, it was a 100 pound heifer out of a cow. Usually when we have to pull a calf, its almost always a big bull calf, i remember being surprised it was a heifer. I'm kind of remembering the pull now. Seems the calf had its feet together and the nose present all together. Not sure what would make it do that. I vaguely remember watching her in the pasture and seeing hooves of two even feet for 2 hours. This was probably this cows second calf judging by her size.

Latest posts