Frost

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
It was 31 degrees here Wed morning. At first I thought my corn was spared. Now it appears about 1/3 of a 40 acre patch is dead, looks like it melted right to the ground. Should have got crop insurance. :frowns:

mnmt that stinks! Was colder here, a pretty hard frost. I am about ready to give up on the garden. For sure the sweetcorn won't go in :cry2: We have to be at least 2-3 weeks behind normal for the growing season.

man thats no fun to lose 1/3 of your corn to frost.that means youll have to replant the corn.

mnmtranching":52nz2ik1 said:
It was 31 degrees here Wed morning. At first I thought my corn was spared. Now it appears about 1/3 of a 40 acre patch is dead, looks like it melted right to the ground. Should have got crop insurance. :frowns:
that's a bad deal... we had a late frost last year that stunted or killed our haycrop, then when it started to recover the drought took over. i tell you we are having too deal with so much crap nowdays, let alone just focusing on the cattle

That just stinks.
Saw our local weather map this morning and it looked like it was pretty cold on the northern Montana and North Dakota border.

V5 corn in less than a month considering the less than ideal growing conditions? I would say maybe it must have gotten alot colder than 31 degrees in some spots in that field or something.

mnmtranching":b9wxtotz said:
My RA costed me $32 per acre last year this year looks to be higher. Considering your seed is only costing you $17 per acre you are still farther ahead not buying the insurance so far. The insurance company would make you replant still anyway. You did alright.

I thought about replanting, don't think it will work. Normally in a freeze the low areas will get hurt the worst. Doesn't seem to be the case this time. 2-3 plants froze then 10 feet or so seem fine [except for being yellow] Then 5-6 plants froze. On and On though out the field. The later stuff isn't froze.

That's too bad mnmtranching, sometimes it seems that a person just can't catch a break. Hopefully what is left turns into a stellar crop.

What the heck is with this weather this year.. :roll:

hillsdown":2xndqko7 said:
What the heck is with this weather this year.. :roll:

Get with it hd, it's global warming! :lol:

Somehow the wife knew to hold off on the garden ( which is normally in by now ), maybe it was watching me wear a toque mowing the lawn!

Sorry about the corn mnm, alot of work and future feed wasted.

mnmtranching":3f3e1n8r said:

I would be careful not to rush to conclusions. Depending on where in MN you are, it's likely that even though your corn emerged, the growing point is still below the soil surface. In WI most corn is just poking thru and is safe from frost for a while.

When the growing point is still below the surface the emerged shoot can die back in a frost but the plant will come through it ok.

All depends on the height of the corn/location of the growing point.

Here is a link to a discussion and photos from Purdue:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/new ... llery.html

I've seen people in a rush to tear out and replant a frosted plant which owuld come back. Salvaging the current stand at this time of year is almost always preferable to replanting. Try to find where the growing point is in your corn before doing anything. You will probably be OK.

Best of luck.

mnmtranching":2n4uv7aq said:

dang that bites, and i was feeling sorry :cry2: for losing part of my garden, its alot easlier and cheaper to replace a flat of veggies then a field of corn
its been cold here to, got the wood stove burning yet, and tis almost june,
grrrrrrrrrrrr, hay field is looking ok, but could use some nice weahter to get a boost

SRBeef":33j3p16n said:
mnmtranching":33j3p16n said:

I would be careful not to rush to conclusions. Depending on where in MN you are, it's likely that even though your corn emerged, the growing point is still below the soil surface. In WI most corn is just poking thru and is safe from frost for a while.

When the growing point is still below the surface the emerged shoot can die back in a frost but the plant will come through it ok.

All depends on the height of the corn/location of the growing point.

Here is a link to a discussion and photos from Purdue:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/new ... llery.html

I've seen people in a rush to tear out and replant a frosted plant which owuld come back. Salvaging the current stand at this time of year is almost always preferable to replanting. Try to find where the growing point is in your corn before doing anything. You will probably be OK.

Best of luck.

I agree it takes an awfully poor stand to come out ahead by tearing it up .Maybe you can spot some in, if it's in pathches .

Sorry about your trouble though, it's been cold and wet here too, crops are behind . I still have 50 acres of corn to plant .

Larry

MNMT- Sorry for your frost problem. Take my advice for what it is worth, You may not have as much corn killed by the frost as it looks like. As stated before there is a good chance that your growing point was still below ground level and although the corn is damaged it may not be dead.(hopefully) I have seen it get cold enough to get down to the growing point below ground but that is more unusual. It sure has been one heck of a season to try to get crops planted. I have even been checking fields for an insurance company for replant possibilities and it has been too wet to event replant. Good luck on what you decide.-JLP

Jalopy":cerdjxn7 said:
MNMT- Sorry for your frost problem. Take my advice for what it is worth, You may not have as much corn killed by the frost as it looks like. As stated before there is a good chance that your growing point was still below ground level and although the corn is damaged it may not be dead.(hopefully) I have seen it get cold enough to get down to the growing point below ground but that is more unusual. It sure has been one heck of a season to try to get crops planted. I have even been checking fields for an insurance company for replant possibilities and it has been too wet to event replant. Good luck on what you decide.-JLP

Some will recover, after a few days I can tell about 1/3 of the plants are dead. Nothing left of the plant but a little dried up thing laying flat. It's dead. The corn was about 3 inches tall. The growing point on most plants was in the stem above ground. The field I planted a week later isn't hurt a bit. I replanted a couple rounds at the edge, but then did damage to the surviving plants, so gave it up.

So now. The field has had starter fertilizer, and has has the herbicide applied. Should I cut back on the next fertilizer application?

So now. The field has had starter fertilizer, and has has the herbicide applied. Should I cut back on the next fertilizer application?

If you are planning on NP AND K I guess I would maybe cut just a little on the N but not on P AND K. P and K will stay in the soil if not used for this years corn crop. But the N will leach out if not used, however the plants that are left could "flex" and use or N as they can utilize more sunshine, soil moisture and nutrients. JMO I know it is hard to make all these decisions in a few days when you have had all winter to make the original plans. Good Luck! JLP

If misery loves company, then let me say "I feel you pain". Last year I didn't havest one bushel of wheat on 150 acres of wheat that I planted, and I lost 45 acres of alfalfa that got buggy, got sprayed, then froze out then got fungus in it, the year before I didn't havest a single bushel of soybeans, on about 150 acres of soybeans I planted, and the year before that it was the corn crop that failed on me.

I have decided a few years ago, that we will never see "seasonal" wether again, and started taking out pretty good insurance on my crops. I think my agent is starting to dislike me. :lol2:

I'm doing a whole lot better now tht I have decided to let my friend/neighbor take over 500 acres of rented ground that I hadn't gotten rich off of. :banana:

ugh! Here the corn is rotting in the fields, not freezing. Ground is too wet and cold. Still waiting to plant hay, have not been able to get the disc through it. I hope things turn around. Soon. Sorry about your corn ~ is a hard row to hoe again this winter maybe.

mnmtranching":nitjmtzd said:

I don't think I would write it off quite so quickly. The guy who rents our farmland had planted corn last spring, and we had a hard freeze the 11th of June. All of the corn turned black, wilted, and appeared to be dead, but most of it survived and came back. Don't give up just yet! ;-)

Latest posts