Frost seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionmanajb

Reaction score
I want to boost my pastures a bit would like to do some frost seeding this winter. What legumes could I frost seed in with decent results? Is there any grasses that may be frost seeded? I know it's a long shot on grasses but if there's anything that would work I'd give it a try. I know when you frost seed you typically do it it's early spring/late winter when we get thawing days & freezing nites. Would it be possible to put the seed out there in say late Nov/early Dec and get a good catch the next spring? In all reality that's what would happen in nature-plants drop seeds in fall/winter and then germinate following spring. I know it would probably mean using more seed to compensate for some loss but then as soon as the weather is rite, my seeding is done and I wouldn't have to try and guess what the rite time is.

Clover best lends itself to frost seeding. I tried timothy once, I'm glad the seed was cheap. Hardly a single plant came up from it.

Clovers usually are good to frost seed. If you are in fescue country it works fairly well also. I like seeding on the snow and as it melts it takes the seed down. Then the feezing helps finish the job.

Latest posts