Frost Seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe in the southern part of the midwest. UP here in the north country there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground. haha

Hopefully in 6 or so weeks....

chevytaHOE5674":2ollej5w said:
Maybe in the southern part of the midwest. UP here in the north country there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground. haha

Where abouts are you?

wbvs58":rfb4k5mt said:
Ron and CPA, how did you go about overseeding and with what varieties?

Ken

Ken,

I used a broadcast seeder like this. I walked over some of the high traffic winter areas seeding KY 31 fescue and Ladino clover.

x4xgg.jpg

We will get a couple more freezes before spring and with the rains, I should get enough seed down to make it worthwhile.

chevytaHOE5674":11zozm21 said:
Ontonagon area. 1/4 of a mile from Lake Superior.
I believe I've been there though we don't usually get that far west

It's amazing how much longer it stays cold that close to the lake vs just a few miles away

Inland a ways it is generally colder and snowier in the winters, and warmer drier in the summer. Sometimes trying to make hay here at home it will be 60 and foggy, go 5 miles inland and it's 80 and sunny.

chevytaHOE5674":ypo8pdt2 said:
Inland a ways it is generally colder and snowier in the winters, and warmer drier in the summer. Sometimes trying to make hay here at home it will be 60 and foggy, go 5 miles inland and it's 80 and sunny.
I've seen ice still stuck to the side of a small cliff in July right near lake superior

chevytaHOE5674":2mq4j2sh said:

I thought the UP was in Canada? :D

I used the earthway walk behind spreader this time, but have used the same one Ron showed above. I put down some red clover in a hunting food plot, but used a pasture mix from TSC in the pastures.

Ontonogan is beautiful country. My family has spent two weeks in August south of you on the Cisco chain each year for the past 30 years. It's like our second home up there (even though officially we're trolls) :eek:

I usually put out a P&S fertiliser each autumn to feed the legumes using a cone spreader and I will always mix in clovers with it usually Red, Subterranean and Haifa white clover. The red is good as I always get to see the results by the distinctive flower but the others have a high component of hard seed so if they come across difficult conditions the hard seed is always there for later on. I think by the way they grow clovers are well adapted to fighting their way through the grass sword.

Ken

Latest posts