Front Page Artical

Help Support CattleToday:

Old Dog/New Tricks

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth With No Disrespect!

Don Blaize article
Trichobezoars, enteroliths and phosphatic calculi can be lurking within your horse.

Note:
Doesn't that scare the H377 out of ya?
Is that what you meant to do Don?

Well it scared the H377 outa me until I started using my head for more than a place to hang my HAT and Went to Thinking.

What are Trichobezoars, enteroliths and phosphatic calculi ?
Well I'm No Vet so I went to the Merck Vet. Manual and looked them up. In English it said:

Trichobezoars, = Hair Balls
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... chobezoars

Enteroliths = Colic
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... nteroliths

phosphatic calculi = NONINFECTIOUS DISEASES OF THE URINARY SYSTEM, Signs include frequent urination or straining to urinate.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... nteroliths

and can "RARELY" be l Lurking within your horse.

Now as you read the rest of this, you would do well to remember that words RARELY and Alfalfa

All "Most" are concretions found in the large intestine, and sometimes, all though rarely, in the horse's stomach.

Concretions, as you may have guessed, are internal stones, about as hard as concrete.

These infernal internal stones are made up of undigested material. They can easily attain a diameter of five to six inches, and are often much larger.

The ordinary weight for phosphatic calculi, which look like rounded and polished stones, is two to three pounds. In exceptional cases they have tripped the scales at 16 pounds. Scare Ya?

Of course, no matter the size, they are not good for your horse.

We don't know everything we should about concretions, but we have some pretty good ideas.
We don't know everything about how and why they develop, but we do know they develop and cause trouble a lot more frequently in horses which eat a lot of alfalfa.

The Center of Equine Health, University of California, Davis, recommends feeding oat or grass hay to reduce the incidence of enteroliths, citing the fact that 98 per cent of horses with enteroliths had a diet of 50 per cent or more alfalfa.

In fairness to Vet's – Alfalfa is considered the best feed going – if a Vet is asked "What should I feed my horse" to protect himself from Law Suites he must say #1 Horse Alfalfa.
In the Old Days the Race Tracks People would pay big money to get their hands on Rye Grass Hay

Interestingly, there is no factor other than alfalfa hay that comes anywhere close to being that strongly connected to enteroliths (colic). In addition, the problem of concretions is much bigger in California and other alfalfa rich states than in areas where there is little or no alfalfa.

And you are correct…even though we know that, no one (other than me) wants to tell you not to feed alfalfa…that would upset alfalfa growers…but, I'll tell you…don't feed alfalfa to horses—there are plenty of other problems with it.
I'll say that also but I won't go that far – for years I fed 10% alfalfa and 90% grain or grass hay!

We know that concretions involve the presence of indigestible particles, such as small pieces of iron or steel, string, plastic or a bit of rubber. Check your horse's feed for foreign objects and feed in a manger or a Plywood box on the ground rather than directly on the ground.

Note: Dust bothers some horses – I feed them in a box ON THE GROUND – I have a 3'x3' plywood box with 2"x 4"'s on the edges to confine the hay – I feel horses were meant to eat of the ground – if a horse has an Allergy to Dust this seems to help.

In the case of phosphatic calculi, it has been noted a predisposing, though not an exciting cause, is the consumption of foods rich in phosphates, such as bran. Lots of people like to feed bran or a bran mash weekly…it's probably a good idea to reduce or eliminate bran from a horse's diet.

Note: Many people tell me they feed bran to help with "Sand Colic" – Ha! What's bran going to do that Grain or Grass Hay won't? I feel Bran and Alfalfa are both hard on URINARY SYSTEM and have a lot to do with WET STALLS.

Trichobezoars are a very specific kind of concretion made up of hair; a trichobezoar then is nothing more than a hair ball.

I don't think I have never see a Horse with Hair Balls.

An enterolith is not very distinguished; it can be a concretion of any kind.

Concretions can achieve a large size without causing problems. In some cases they are passed in manure; in some cases they simply remain in a portion of the intestine and do not seem to cause discomfort.

There is no characteristic symptom that can determine the presence of concretions, but reoccurring colic without good reason might suggest a trichobezoar or enterolith.

Problems develop when the concretion is dislodged and becomes an obstruction in a portion of the intestine.

Treatment, other than physical removal, is limited to administration of strong purgatives and enemas. Such treatment can clear away calculi, but can also complicate matters, according to Dr. Jack Sales.

Unfortunately, trichobezoars, enteroliths and phosphatic calculi are being seen more often. Is it the abundant availability of alfalfa, or just increased awareness?

Don Blazer has worked with horses for the past 30 years. We hope you enjoyed his column and will drop him an email with your questions or suggestions for other columns. You can visit his website at http://www.donblazer.com.

Old Dog/New Trick is just an Old Horseman not a Vet. It's been years since I called a Vet for a Coliced horse. I've saver horses with colic that Vets have given up on.

Most Vet's and I will
1st - give the animal something for Pain
2nd - tube the animal Mineral Oil from both ends
3rd – Walk the Horse
Most owner's walk their horse a few times around a pen.
When a Vet says "Walk That Horse" he means Walk that Horse!

A few years back I had friends that called a Vet for a Coliced Horse then they called me. When I got there they told me that the Vet had done what he could and told them to walk the horse but that it would most-likely die.

I bought that Dead/Dieing Horse for $5.00 – gave it more Pain Stuff and Tied It to the back of My Truck - - 5 hours later after dragging/pulling/walking that DEAD Horse I Doubled My Money and sold it back to them a Healthy Horse!
This is One Story I have many such!

Latest posts