Dragging front toe

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
My horse turned up lame this morning. He drags his front toe. Won't put any weight on it whatsoever, but doesn't lift it either. No fever, no swelling, it ain't in the foot. Looks like I'm possibly facing a shoulder injury, but more likely a nerve issue. Vet will be here tomorrow. Anyone ever had this before?

have you been putting any extra strain on him, lots miles, roping anything ?
i assume you checked frog etc. so how did ge act when you picked his foot up ?
did you try to extend it out in front of him ?
i'd want an x-ray and check for navicular disease/syndrome

cross_7":212agnvd said:
have you been putting any extra strain on him, lots miles, roping anything ?
i assume you checked frog etc. so how did ge act when you picked his foot up ?
did you try to extend it out in front of him ?
i'd want an x-ray and check for navicular disease/syndrome
No extra strain, he gets ridden 5-6 days per week.
I can pick up his foot and move all joints in every direction with no reaction from him, including the shoulder joint. Frog and foot are fine, I can put all the pressure I want everywhere. The only reaction I get is if I put quite a bit if pressure on the offending shoulder. He will shy away but nothing major.

Did you check for an abcess? Clean and wash the hoof & look for a black spot. I had a horse with one and I thought that he had broken his leg.

It does not sound like navicular. My husband had a navicular horse and have friends who have one too.

It's been a long time since I talked seriously about horse, but I agree with most of what's being said. First I'm confident you have located the problem in the shoulder. If it's sensitive to pressure it sure an obvious sign of pain. Since you're able to extend the leg forward and I assume back without much sensitivity I would take that as a good sign. I also think it's not navicular or related to the hoof, although can't rule out an abscess, those seem to come on all of the sudden. Which is what seems to happen with your horse, which for me rules out nerve damage. Nerve damage is usually not an "all of the sudden" problem, you would have noticed it coming on before the horse started dragging a toe. If it is nerve damage and all of the sudden it probably would have been due to an accident, which in most cases you would see a secondary injury, such as a cut or swelling.

Good luck, let us know what the vet says.

cross_7":1aa5p474 said:
what did the vet say ?
Well, it isn't nerve damage. Either sprained or broken shoulder. We have stalled him and are going to treat the swelling and inflammation for six weeks. If it is broken and won't heal on its own it's an $8000-$10,000 surgery. Let's pray for healing.

Isomade":37d70z89 said:
If it is broken and won't heal on its own it's an $8000-$10,000 surgery..
What you want to do in that case is imagine an X from the ears to the eyes and aim a little up and to the side of center. Don't hit the center of X or you'll just give him a sinus infection.

Isomade":1aaty60k said:
cross_7":1aaty60k said:
what did the vet say ?
Well, it isn't nerve damage. Either sprained or broken shoulder. We have stalled him and are going to treat the swelling and inflammation for six weeks. If it is broken and won't heal on its own it's an $8000-$10,000 surgery. Let's pray for healing.

any idea what happened ?
does he seem any better today, putting any weight on it ?

Only one slight difference this morning, he is actually putting the foot flat on the ground. No weight on it but it is a slight difference.

I hope that is a good thing :D I also hope your horse recovers quickly.
I'm curious to know what happened.

I'm dealing with a suspensory ligament injury at the moment. 8-9 months stall rest for my horse with hand walking 12 minutes a day. I've been reading and trying to learn more about this and how to deal with it.

Keep us informed on how your horse is doing, and if you ever get a confirmed DX I would like to know what it is.

No real improvement, his knee is swollen now though. I wonder if it's fluid from his shoulder moving down his leg?

Isomade":15cqqy91 said:
No real improvement, his knee is swollen now though. I wonder if it's fluid from his shoulder moving down his leg?

Doubt that the knee fluid is moving down the leg, but probably could be secondary to the shoulder, meaning, even that he's feeling better in his shoulder he's doing too much with his knee.

Sounds like at the least it's lots of restriction and stall rest and meds. Could be worse, sounds okay hang in there.

Isomade, did the vet take an X-ray. I'm sure you have great vets in your part of the country, but you might try sending the X-ray to a vet that deals with just horses. Especially one that works on thorough breds.

Latest posts