Dragging front toe

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":ri3px723 said:
Any change.
Slightly. Some of the swelling has gone down. The part that gets me is the front of the shoulder kind of on the "corner" for back of a better term is hard. Like its bone that's sticking out. He does put a little more weight on it now. Not much, but a little. Still doesn't use it to walk at all, gets around on 3.

It sounds like he damaged the joint at the point of his shoulder :(
I don't know if that area can be successfully x-rayed. If he were mine, I would have it done. I am so sorry that he isn't doing better. I know how you feel. It really sucks.

2vc8brr.jpg

I would get him looked at again. After several weeks with muscle wastage and callus and scar tissue forming around the injury it often becomes clearer what happened in the first place. Won't fix it but may give a better idea of what the outcome will be whether worthwhile persevering.
Ken

chippie":6in9tvwk said:
It sounds like he damaged the joint at the point of his shoulder :(
I don't know if that area can be successfully x-rayed. If he were mine, I would have it done. I am so sorry that he isn't doing better. I know how you feel. It really sucks.

2vc8brr.jpg
That's exactly the place

Chippie, looking at that picture I'm starting to wonder if it's dislocated. Looks like the Humerus could be on top of the scapula.

I would say he has hit something pretty hard and sheared a bit off the scapula or humerus. He is trying to heal it back together and the hard bit you can now see and feel is the callous forming. Unfortunately they do not heal back to how they should be real good.
Ken

It might not hurt to get a chiropractor to look at it. I'll ask my daughter about it later today. She learned how to adjust horses and does mine.
I would see about getting it x-rayed too.

Oh happy day! Yesterday he was still the same, getting around on three legs. Today I went to take him a bake of hay and he WAS WALKING! :banana: :banana:
He has a lot of muscle loss from the weeks of non use and I'm sure he is very sore. But he is walking on it. It's gonna take a couple months I'm sure but I think he will pull through!

He is running cutting and a buckin and fartin like the old days. :D The shoulder is still a bit sore I noticed last week when I had him trimmed. I also notice that the shoulder muscle looks like it is attached just a wee bit higher on the injured side. I'm thinking he tore the muscle and it reattached different. I'm gonna give him another six weeks before climbing back on him.

Be forewarned...muscle attatchments tend to fail again if they don't heal just right the first time. I'm on failure number three on my arm. :lol: It does get less painfull each time though.
I admire your patience. I'd likely have put him down by now... I myself have learned to grin when it hurts to avoid A$$holes like myself who think if it limps it should die.

cow pollinater":q24lrcsv said:
Be forewarned...muscle attatchments tend to fail again if they don't heal just right the first time. I'm on failure number three on my arm. :lol: It does get less painfull each time though.
I admire your patience. I'd likely have put him down by now... I myself have learned to grin when it hurts to avoid A$$holes like myself who think if it limps it should die.
I talked to Doc ( my vet) tonight, while we were pulling a breech 100# calf out of a heifer. He said patience is the key with most of the horse injuries he sees. He said you would be amazed at how many people have given me very nice horses over the years because they didn't want to spend the money for an expensive surgery or wait it out. Some of em take 6 months some a year and of course some never recover. But I've wound up with some mighty fine horses.

I brought him home yesterday afternoon. I put him in the pen with my daughters horse which is a
20x40 ft with half covered. My daughter horse didn't take to him at first but it seemed things settled down so I went in and went to bed. Now, this pen is made of 5 1/2 foot tall panels. The next morning I went out to feed them and when I opened the door my daughters horse was looking at him across the fence :shock: . I walked around and checked everything, every panel was buttoned up tight. He jumped! I separated my daughter horse, and moved him back in. Thankfully he didn't even show the slightest limp. I just can't get over him jumping a 5 1/2 foot fence with a gimp leg and no room for a runnin start. Not a mark on any panel or him.

Latest posts