Frog farming

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I was at a meeting tonight and a friend was telling me about a trip to Argentina. He said they visited a frog growing facility. Said it was all inside. I ask a couple other friends and one posted a link that was an article from VA Tech. It stated there was no evidence that it was a profitable venture here or anywhere else. So if that is correct where do the frog legs we buy come from. Anyone know of a Frog Ranch?

Bigfoot":nmjuqy59 said:
The ones I buy locally, say Vietnam on the box.
OK, makes sense. In a discussion at a cattle meeting last night the subject of the new Vet Feed Directives came up. In the discussion the speaker stated that many countries still used chemicals that were banned here 30 years ago and then we buy their beef. But we must go by the rules when we use it.

Margonme":3usu51ml said:
When I was growing up, we gigged them in ponds or creeks. Does anyone gig anymore?
We did also but I don't see them like we did back then. I feel the coons and the Blue Herons are getting more of them now.

kenny thomas":2casb5m5 said:
Margonme":2casb5m5 said:
When I was growing up, we gigged them in ponds or creeks. Does anyone gig anymore?
We did also but I don't see them like we did back then. I feel the coons and the Blue Herons are getting more of them now.

We could fill a feed sack half full pretty quick when I was kid. Season always came in May15th. I remember everybody looked exhausted on the 16th, if it fell on a school night.

If we had a season I don't remember it. Probably would not have mattered. My first memories of frogs are not the hunting but skinning them and throwing the legs straight into the hot grease. They would almost jump out of the skillet and the rest of the body would be crawling around.

Used to be, I could sit on the back porch and hear the bullfrogs 1/2 the night down at the pond and along the canals. Dunno if the bass, gators, cranes and herons, or multiple floods have done them in, but I rarely hear one any more, tho I see 100s of little eyes in spotlight in the lilypads.

Dunno how anyone could make a profit if the info in this is correct:
https://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/ ... 9_2850.pdf

Had some friends that built a huge building in the Mojave Desert and had a frog farm. It was full of shallow swimming pools with frogs in various stages of growth, all air conditioned. They had a buyer in LA that came up once a month and bought the frogs. Don;t know if the hauled them live or what. Supposedly they were sold for research. The second year they got tired of never being able to leave and go anywhere even for a day so they went to LA for a day. When they got back they had no electricity. Boy, I had thought that place stunk before. I couldn;t get within a half mile of the place and started to gag. They had opened the building to air it out. They sold the place, lost their butts on it. The new owners tore down the frog building and buried the rubble.

My frog legs come from the stick marsh in Fellsmere Fl. Their cleaned and bagged in 2 lb packages. Frog farming should be as, or more profitable as cattle farming this year.

Just when I think I found a good career with a bright future skinning cats I learn...

San Bromista Cat Ranch is actively working with the Kinki University scientists on experiments crossing cats with snakes. If the experiments are successful, the resulting hybrid cats will skin themselves, creating an even greater profit potential. It is expected that the hybrid cats will be particularly effective in the summer months when cats naturally shed hair extensively.

HDRider":326ysexd said:
Just when I think I found a good career with a bright future skinning cats I learn...

San Bromista Cat Ranch is actively working with the Kinki University scientists on experiments crossing cats with snakes. If the experiments are successful, the resulting hybrid cats will skin themselves, creating an even greater profit potential. It is expected that the hybrid cats will be particularly effective in the summer months when cats naturally shed hair extensively.
Yep, more US jobs lost to another country.. :lol: :lol:

kenny thomas":1q82phc0 said:
Margonme":1q82phc0 said:

Read somewhere in the past that studies came to the conclusion that the UV rays were getting stronger and effected the hatching of the eggs that the frogs laid.

I will ship frogs to you. Send me a check for 19.99 and I will mail you a pair . In order to keep them alive they will have to shipped in tadpole form , No refunds and I have plenty , I also have toad frogs and an abundance of rain frogs that I can add or only 2.99each if you buy all three I will throw in a fence lizard for FREE

hurleyjd":1svcvw0a said:
Also I have not seen a toad frog in the last 15 years around here.

A toad is just a toad. I see them here. Was moving a pile of fence posts yesterday, saw several. I assisted them in relocating. They are great insect hunters.

Latest posts