Fresh Milk

Help Support CattleToday:

John Wayne

Reaction score
I went to buy a couple heifers from a fellow and after we did the deal I saw he ran a small herd of milk cows and we got to gabbin about milk cows, long story short, I came home with a gallon of milk that just came out of a cow. I tried a sip from a cup while there in the milk shed, thought a sip cant kill me. It was very good. And I'm still kicken today. Anybody see any reason why we cant make icecream outa this stuff? Or drink it or use it for cooking? I always thought milk was for calves and I'v never tried to milk a cow so I dont know much about raw milk. But it sure was good.

I assume it tasted so good because you got everything unlike skim or lowfat milk. I would like to know the fat content of that milk, gotta be high?

John Wayne":2ieycq53 said:
I went to buy a couple heifers from a fellow and after we did the deal I saw he ran a small herd of milk cows and we got to gabbin about milk cows, long story short, I came home with a gallon of milk that just came out of a cow. I tried a sip from a cup while there in the milk shed, thought a sip cant kill me. It was very good. And I'm still kicken today. Anybody see any reason why we cant make icecream outa this stuff? Or drink it or use it for cooking? I always thought milk was for calves and I'v never tried to milk a cow so I dont know much about raw milk. But it sure was good.
ive got a friend that retired from milking cows.an he has drank whole cows milk right out of his bulk tank for almost 50yrs.hasnt killed him yet.he makes ice cream from his fresh milk an cream.he drinks prolly 6 gal of milk by hisself a week.an he still fires his dairy up 2x a day to milk 2 or 3 cows for his own milk.

Fat content would depend on the breed and the herd. We get milk straight from a farm and I wouldn't say that it is mucher higher than 2% that you get at the store. Holsteins.... Had a budy who got some from a Jersey and the milk fat on that was crazy.. Wife keeps talking about wanting to make cheese and stuff so I fear the day of a milk cow showing up here.. I have been fighting her off with the, you get it, you milk it but I think that is going to only work so long.

we bought from our neighbor for years and have even milked a couple of my own. it won't hurt you it is pretty rich in fat, boy it is good. you can strain the cream off and make butter. my in-laws have pasteurizer from when they milked cows.

As long as the cows are healthy, and the farmer is careful, there's no problem with drinking milk straight from the cows. I think there are dairies that sell raw milk for a premium, but they have the cows tested every year. In some states it's illegal to sell raw milk so people buy "shares" in a cow and take a percentage of her milk.

John Wayne":2golxacc said:

When I was growing up, my family always had at least one milk cow for our own milk and also sold some to the local cheese factory. I milked by hand in the PM and my dad milked in the AM. Raw milk was all I drank until I left the farm at 21. Our cows were Jerseys. As I recall the milkfat which was measured at the cheese factory was around 5%. Much higher than milk from holstiens. These day my friendly cardiologist has me on skim milk. :)

It was all straight from the tank raw milk for me for 25 years. It was hard to get used to drinking the pasturized stuff. Holsteins ran from just under 3 to 3.25 usually and the jerseys from 5 to 5.5 overall in butterfat. That home made jersey butter sure was sweet and good.

We had a Jersey cow when I was little. I remember Daddy would clean her udders before milking. After milking he would pour some of the very top off to the kitty cats.

I would like to have some raw milk. I read an article about it recently and one of the things it said was that raw milk has natural enzymes such as lactase and lipase which help digest milk and other enzymes that help with calcium absorption. Many people who cannot easily digest pasteurized milk can handle raw milk better. This article included a website of http://www.realmilk.com if you want more information.

When my mom was just a baby, back in 42, she lived on the southern most edge of the Chicago suburbs.. Across the street was a dairy. She would vomit any time she was given formula or milk from the store but she could drink raw milk... It varies from state to state as far as the legality of getting it. Some states the farmer can sell it as pet food but not human, some states the farmer can sell it but not package it, some they can advertise and some they can't.. Best to check your local regulations and try to keep up... WE get lots of calls from folks looking for it but we don't have any dairy cows on the place yet...

You'll know by tomorrow morning...

Clean cow, clean equipment = clean milk.
Up here the key wording is "pet milk", that is milk for your pets and the folks will sell you whole milk. Ben a scare awhile back over on the west side that got the health folks looking at milk again.
DMc

If it haddent been for a cow when i was growing up we would have starved.Dident know what store bought milk tasted like for years.

rattler

John Wayne":jzjxhja8 said:

When you make icecream with milk straight from the cow you will get little flakes of butter mixed in with it. This is caused from not skiming off the cream and not being homoginized. I liked it.

Back when there were a lot of small dairy farms around many people around here got their milk raw right from the farms. Never heard of it hurting anybody. We let the milk sit overnight and skim the cream off. Used the cream for making butter and ice cream, and drank the skim milk. Whole raw milk was to rich for most folks.

Undulant Fever is probably one of the nastiest things that can happen from drinking raw unpasteurized milk. Have seen it a few times years ago.

Not much Bangs anymore though.

Made icecream last night put in some of my home canned blue berries and some of wife's home frozen strawberries I'll never eat store icecream again

There was a Vet out in Montana that I knew who suffered from it.. They figured he got it from field dressing an Elk that was infected.. At least I think that is what the prof told me.. Said it was about as nasty of a bug as you can catch...

When were kids we always had fresh milk. Mom would skim the cream off and put some in 4 different quart jars. A jar was given to me and one each to my 3 brothers. It kept 4 very active kids quite for awhile. We would shake our jars until we made butter. She would take each of our jars ,strain the butter milk and save it for my dad. He loved that stuff. Then she would mold the butter. Nothing like store bought.
All 3 of my sons were raised on fresh milk. No formula stuff for them. To this day I still use fresh milk. To drink,cook with ,whatever. People wonder why do my pies taste better....hum maybe because everything is fresh.

I grew up hand miking a brown swiss. On cold days I would take a dixie cup and get a shot of nice warm milk striaight from the cow. Better than any cup of coffee I have had since.

Latest posts