Fresh weaned calves question???

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 350-500 wt. steers off of a friend of mines pasture.. They have never been introduced to grain just strictly hay/grass/momma.. the 2 smaller ones in the bunch were pulled off momma the day we loaded them up.. They have never received any vaccinations. I have good hay and grass. How should I begin introducing them to grain? I have a small pen that I currently have them in with water hay and mineral. How long should I keep them in before I administer vaccinations?

Thanks in advance!!

First thing off the trailer I would give them a dose of Biomicin or your favorite antibiotic, and if they look good and healthy vaccinate them at the same time. And I'd be sure to have Somnus included in the vaccine regimine. I'd also keep them separate from the rest of the herd (including water source) for at least a week.

Some grain in a feed trough where they are, right off. They may just nose it around, but a taste is good to start. If nothing else, blackleg vaccine even though it is not as prevelant in the fall. The biggest thing is to ask either a vet or someone else who does vaccinations what their protocol is. We are a mostly grass based operation, but do feed a little grain to weaned calves so they continue to grow and not go backwards or get stunted or "hay guts". Worming might be a good thing too going into the winter. Everyone has a different idea on vaccinations, what to give, the kind etc. We do not use modified live, but many do.
Welcome to the forum, and can you post a general area in your profile, as different areas often tend to have different problems and others in your area can chime in on what they do.

TLM1988":2n07vp6p said:
I recently purchased 5 350-500 wt. steers off of a friend of mines pasture.. They have never been introduced to grain just strictly hay/grass/momma.. the 2 smaller ones in the bunch were pulled off momma the day we loaded them up.. They have never received any vaccinations. I have good hay and grass. How should I begin introducing them to grain? I have a small pen that I currently have them in with water hay and mineral. How long should I keep them in before I administer vaccinations?

Thanks in advance!!

Silver and Jan are spot on. If the calves appear healthy, worm/vaccinate (8 way and an antibiotic wouldn't hurt) and get them eating. Good luck to you...

What Jan said and inforce 3 as soon as possible because it gives fastest protection, when all is going well anytime
after 1st week, Alpha 7 as it only requires 1 shot and Pyramid 5 + presponse sq because it also only requires 1 shot and an injectable wormer (cydectin)

Thanks for the replies.. they all appear to be doing well they came off a great set of momma cows... the feed has the 2 smaller calves stool very loose.. is this normal? There going out to grass next day or two.. I live in western KY 30 miles south of Paducah.. thanks again

Latest posts