Milk: $1.37 a gallon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":ywnvs0eb said:
ddd75":ywnvs0eb said:
guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

Is this below the radar? Just curious.
no it's legal

ddd75":3ucjqr31 said:
Jogeephus":3ucjqr31 said:
ddd75":3ucjqr31 said:
guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

no it's legal

Didn't think so but isn't there some legislation in the works that would allow you guys to sell shares? We can't do shares. Our department of agriculture even has a SWAT team they use to bust whole milk sales. Ridiculous.

Jogeephus":cgt9xdbn said:
ddd75":cgt9xdbn said:
Jogeephus":cgt9xdbn said:
no it's legal

Didn't think so but isn't there some legislation in the works that would allow you guys to sell shares? We can't do shares. Our department of agriculture even has a SWAT team they use to bust whole milk sales. Ridiculous.

i'm in ohio now. I'm not sure about milk sales. This guy does pasteurize it but leaves the cream in it or something. He's all legit and goes to all the farmers markets.
I haven't researched it lately but i know we can do up to 10,000 chickens a year and butcher them to sell w/o permits or inspections. So i'm going to try to start raising some to sell. Need to research to make sure they haven't changed anything yet.

ddd75":2b3lw4t8 said:
Jogeephus":2b3lw4t8 said:
ddd75":2b3lw4t8 said:
no it's legal

i'm in ohio now. I'm not sure about milk sales. This guy does pasteurize it but leaves the cream in it or something. He's all legit and goes to all the farmers markets.
I haven't researched it lately but i know we can do up to 10,000 chickens a year and butcher them to sell w/o permits or inspections. So i'm going to try to start raising some to sell. Need to research to make sure they haven't changed anything yet.

In Ohio you can sell milk by shares. Sell of raw milk for human consumption is illegal in Kentucky. Here is a link.

https://milk.procon.org/view.resource.p ... eID=005192

Jogeephus":pex0qitq said:
In Ohio you can sell milk by shares. Sell of raw milk for human consumption is illegal in Kentucky. Here is a link.

Joe do you know how to milk?? Thought maybe we could buy a couple of cows, pasture them down in Georgia, register the business in Texas, you can milk the cows and bottle the milk and I'll come by and get my half of the money every Saturday. :cowboy:

TexasBred":1njjn32r said:
Jogeephus":1njjn32r said:

Joe do you know how to milk?? Thought maybe we could buy a couple of cows, pasture them down in Georgia, register the business in Texas, you can milk the cows and bottle the milk and I'll come by and get my half of the money every Saturday. :cowboy:

Heck yeah I can milk but if you are going to get half and I'll pay the state and federal government 40% then that only leaves 10% which is supposed to go to the church and that isn't looking to good for me. Way I got it figured we are going to have to buy a bunch more cows to make it worth my time.

Jogeephus":3gh1sl2s said:
TexasBred":3gh1sl2s said:
Jogeephus":3gh1sl2s said:

Heck yeah I can milk but if you are going to get half and I'll pay the state and federal government 40% then that only leaves 10% which is supposed to go to the church and that isn't looking to good for me. Way I got it figured we are going to have to buy a bunch more cows to make it worth my time.
That will work. Just as long as I get my "Share". :lol: :lol: :hide:

If you are wondering which states allow what, go to "realmilk.com . It's the Weston A Price foundation and they list each state and the status of raw milk ; sales, shares, NO-NO or whatever. Plus gives very informative info and some studies etc to back it up. Also Dr. Mercola. com has a website and touts all the benefits of " real food" , raw milk, vegs and the dangers of so many things that are in the food we eat. Read about the flouride in the toothpaste, and the aluminum in deoderants and anti-perspirants. Being informed is what will help anyone make intelligent decisions....and KNOW THE SOURCE of any food is what will keep you protected from stuff that can kill you.

ddd75":ce744i8e said:
Jogeephus":ce744i8e said:
ddd75":ce744i8e said:

no it's legal
15275.jpg

http://www.ncsl.org/research/agricultur ... -2012.aspx

"The bottom line is dairy farmers are going to go out of business if something doesn't change," said John J. King, a fellow dairy farmer from Pequea. "There will always be farmers in America, I believe, but it will be a corporate business."

Morrissey's conclusions are even more pointed.

"We do know the people in this room and the people they represent are going bankrupt," he says. "They are getting less money and it costs more to make the milk. They are operating on borrowed money. They're being eliminated."

Morrissey says the spiral for the milk industry is so dire that he predicts many Plain Sect dairy farmers in Lancaster County will be forced to abandon their cows within 10 years.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Under- ... 259301.php

HDRider":1f7angzg said:
"The bottom line is dairy farmers are going to go out of business if something doesn't change," said John J. King, a fellow dairy farmer from Pequea. "There will always be farmers in America, I believe, but it will be a corporate business."

"We do know the people in this room and the people they represent are going bankrupt," he says. "They are getting less money and it costs more to make the milk. They are operating on borrowed money. They're being eliminated."

Morrissey says the spiral for the milk industry is so dire that he predicts many Plain Sect dairy farmers in Lancaster County will be forced to abandon their cows within 10 years.

Call me a conspiracy kook, but this I think is by design. Vertical integration of the dairy industry. Pitiful, in my opinion. Control the food, control the people.

The Mennonites here in the Shen Valley are all talking about money and milk prices etc.; and they never used to say a thing about money in any form. They are also being squeezed so tight that there are some that are going out too. The thing here now is the poultry houses going up on land that was once grazing and crop land for cattle. It's all controlled by the companies that handle the poultry business. They will guarantee a contract for 7 years....but it will take a farmer 15 years to pay off the cost of the building....what happens if they don't get their contract renewed????? And no sooner do the farmers get it paid off then the poultry company requires some renovations, or want you to convert from hens to toms or vice versa....and there are more renovations to do....

Yep, it is vertical integrating and all about control....

farmerjan":1uifs4m9 said:
The Mennonites here in the Shen Valley are all talking about money and milk prices etc.; and they never used to say a thing about money in any form. They are also being squeezed so tight that there are some that are going out too. The thing here now is the poultry houses going up on land that was once grazing and crop land for cattle. It's all controlled by the companies that handle the poultry business. They will guarantee a contract for 7 years....but it will take a farmer 15 years to pay off the cost of the building....what happens if they don't get their contract renewed????? And no sooner do the farmers get it paid off then the poultry company requires some renovations, or want you to convert from hens to toms or vice versa....and there are more renovations to do....

Yep, it is vertical integrating and all about control....
be like joel and process and sell your own chickens.

take the control back.

Workinonit Farm":19fbwket said:
HDRider":19fbwket said:

Call me a conspiracy kook, but this I think is by design. Vertical integration of the dairy industry. Pitiful, in my opinion. Control the food, control the people.
And control the money supply, control the country.
Welcome the IMF.

You can take the control back to a degree. In Va you are only "allowed " to process 3,000 birds a year before you have to meet a different set of requirements.... he has an outside processing facility.

Once you get the house paid for then yes you could do something like that, but those houses are meant to FAST grow out 22,000 every 45 days....The poultry company pays the feed, and LP for heat for the baby chicks, and then pays you for your labor basically, based on rate of gain etc.. And since the thing that makes the money is free range, the houses are not much benefit.... but developing a market is really tough too. I think it is getting somewhat saturated because the prices are much higher on the finished bird. And they grow slower when in a range situation.
There is also ALOT of time put into developing the market and then you also have to deal with liability. It certainly isn't as rosy a picture as he paints.

Believe me, Mennonites are not above really pushing for these houses and the fast track to making a little money.... The things you see BEHIND the scenes...

farmerjan":37dkgdur said:
You can take the control back to a degree. In Va you are only "allowed " to process 3,000 birds a year before you have to meet a different set of requirements.... he has an outside processing facility.

Once you get the house paid for then yes you could do something like that, but those houses are meant to FAST grow out 22,000 every 45 days....The poultry company pays the feed, and LP for heat for the baby chicks, and then pays you for your labor basically, based on rate of gain etc.. And since the thing that makes the money is free range, the houses are not much benefit.... but developing a market is really tough too. I think it is getting somewhat saturated because the prices are much higher on the finished bird. And they grow slower when in a range situation.
There is also ALOT of time put into developing the market and then you also have to deal with liability. It certainly isn't as rosy a picture as he paints.

Believe me, Mennonites are not above really pushing for these houses and the fast track to making a little money.... The things you see BEHIND the scenes...

There are ALOT of poultry houses on your side of the mountains. There's a bunch here, on the Eastern side, but I think there's more in the valley. There's processors on that side. I remember passing, I think it was Wampler or Tyson, one time near Dayton, and there were a couple of "stray" turkeys marching around the intersection! LOL I think ot was not too far from Eastern Mennonite University.

farmerjan":36hl5cn2 said:

it's not as easy as he makes it look, no doubt.

I'm going to look into doing it.. For my family at first and then try to market some. We can do 10k birds here last time I checked. Near zero infrastructure and we don't have anyone around here doing that kind of thing. We are getting WAY too populated over here but the one benefit is all these people have a ton of money to blow.

It's crazy what the government decides is healthy vs unhealthy. Our family has been drinking raw milk for about 10 years and have no plans on going back anytime soon. We use to pasteurize it ourselves when the kids were little, but that stopped about 4 years ago. I use to drink 1/2% as a kid because I thought whole milk was gross. Now even the 2% is nasty compared to whole milk. The flavor can't be beat. We're in Michigan and have a share in a local herd.

Latest posts