Freezer pork at 2 years old - still OK?

Help Support CattleToday:

moocow

Reaction score
Not cattle related, but figured someone here would know.
A freind at work asked if you can keep a butchered hog in the freezer up to two years. Seems a bit long to me, anyone every kept one that long and have it still good? Never kept any pork in the freezer longer than a year myself, so I can't give an answer to him, other than try cooking some up.

Myself, I'd be real leary of it...in other words, I wouldn't eat it for anything. However, I'm real prone to food poisoning and am leary of things that don't seem to bother other people. But 2 years does seem a bit long.

Alice

It is recommended that you only keep pork up to a year in the freezer. With my experience working at the meat lab, I personally think you could go a little longer. However if it is over a year and a half old I would get throw it out. After a year and a half most of the time it begins to get freezer burn and it has a different taste.

I hope this helps.

Auburn

I have kept pork and deer for close to 2 years, but I wrap and vaccum seal all of my frozen meat. The moisture is what causes the freezer burn ( I think) and anything you can do to stop this will help. I don't think it would hurt you to eat it after 2 years, but the quality of the meat would definately be in question.

I hope this answers your question

I don't think you would get sick but dang I don't think that it would be tasty - freezer burn - freezer taste - down right nasty
but the doggies would probably love it so don't throw it further than their dish (just not too much at once)

moocow":v1j057nn said:
Not cattle related, but figured someone here would know.
A freind at work asked if you can keep a butchered hog in the freezer up to two years. Seems a bit long to me, anyone every kept one that long and have it still good? Never kept any pork in the freezer longer than a year myself, so I can't give an answer to him, other than try cooking some up.

I wouldn't eat anything kept in the freezer for 2 years.

I haven't read all of the replies, but depending on how it was stored and wrapped, you could.

My granddaddy shot a buck one year and processed it himself. He wrapped it in celephane, and then double freezer paper. Some time later he died after a prolonged illness. Mom pulled those vension packages from the freezer and made spagettie for the mulitudes of people for the wake and reception after the funeral. It was dated and had been in the freezer for 7 years. It was as fresh as could be.

I recently cleaned out our freezer. Over the next several days we ate ducks and dove, but we haven't hunted them in 3 years. They were all delicious.

If you see discoloration around the smaller thinner parts or notice an off odor when thawed, toss it.

we have butchered hogs we've raised but not for a few years, held pork for almost 2 yrs in the freezer and has been great. No problems.

We eat it at our house if it lasted that long we have teenagers and Kelly so doesn't last long.

But when in doubt, cook well ------Dog food!

You have that much left, next time call me we will throw a party, it won't last :lol: .

Latest posts