Freemartins

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like GenMark closed March 16 judging by their website.
This place:
http://www.geneticvisions.net/freemartin.html
looks like they do it for 25.

I talked to my dad yesterday, and I'm not sure we're even going to through with the testing: the heifer is not that good, it's just a matter that we've had fewer heifers than we'd like for expanding the herd over the past couple of years and if she's fertile she would help increase our numbers.

saintgert":1t1kkqqd said:
Looks like GenMark closed March 16 judging by their website.
This place:
http://www.geneticvisions.net/freemartin.html
looks like they do it for 25.

I talked to my dad yesterday, and I'm not sure we're even going to through with the testing: the heifer is not that good, it's just a matter that we've had fewer heifers than we'd like for expanding the herd over the past couple of years and if she's fertile she would help increase our numbers.

Wrong way to go about it. A heifer should be selected on her merits not just because she's able to have a calf.

I know--hence the second thoughts about even conducting the blood test--it may not be worth it. But we were exploring the possibility so I thought I'd see what was out there in terms of freemartin testing.

dun":2podvy3n said:
CKC1586":2podvy3n said:
A chromosome doesn't change, right?!

It must. After all, how often have you heard someone say they use a young bull on heifers so it will throw a small calf?

Now that is the best thing I have heard in a long time... LMAO Dun, thanks for that I needed a chuckle.. :clap: :clap: :lol2:[/quote]

I've heard that logic used more than once (more like once a week). Matter of fact, I don't even dispute it. So many people believe it, you look like the idiot when you try to explain it, no matter how much proof you have to back you up.

Mr dickinson says " breed for bull; hope for heifer".
When the freemartin is a piedmontese it will be a tremendous beef specimen, so do not cry.
And freematins grow bigger than normal heifer and have more beautiful horns.
But why bloodtest them? Time tells, the ones not bred, you sell, the bred ones you keep.
Besides; the bull calf was the expected, and the freemartin was just a bonus!

ANAZAZI":1qvc6ioc said:
Time tells, the ones not bred, you sell, the bred ones you keep.
Getting a heifer to breeding age costs more then the few dollars for the blood test.

dun":8wup1044 said:
ANAZAZI":8wup1044 said:
Getting a heifer to breeding age costs more then the few dollars for the blood test.
Yup, dun I wanted to know what to plan for that is why I tested her. She has an appointment in a week or two.....She is beautiful, sure would have been nice if she were fertile, but hopefully I will get at least half of her sold, the rest will be in my families freezers.

dun":n1p75k90 said:
ANAZAZI":n1p75k90 said:

Every cost in simple grass and silage to develop a heifer or freemartin to full size is paid for in full when you kill it; most certainly if you eat it yourself or sell it private treaty.
are you guys saing that it is not profitable to raise beef?
We are beef breeders are we not?

ANAZAZI":30i9phwe said:
dun":30i9phwe said:
ANAZAZI":30i9phwe said:

Every cost in simple grass and silage to develop a heifer or freemartin to full size is paid for in full when you kill it; most certainly if you eat it yourself or sell it private treaty.
are you guys saing that it is not profitable to raise beef?
We are beef breeders are we not?
That heifer would be gone as a feeder at 7 months instead of hanging around eating for another 5-7 months.

Indeed, because they are so tasty. And because they often lack hormones they do well on just forage and hay.

ANAZAZI":2ufbg3br said:
Indeed, because they are so tasty. And because they often lack hormones they do well on just forage and hay.
Yes indeed, Anazazi! That Piedmontese beef sure is hard to beat....

I have a freemartin heifer this year that looks great for build, but I'll probably not keep her, and I don't think I'll deal with doing a blood test either... She was raised by one of our best milking cows, and her natural mother isn't a slouch either, but her vulva does look less developed than other heifers.

IMG_6797.jpg

I have more freezer beef than I have market for at the moment as well anyhow too.

We had one last year. Her vulva was very small, with her clitoris externally evident all the time. I was pretty sure she was a freemartin, but since she was a really nice heifer out of our best cow I waited it out for a few months. Had her checked at 8 months, vet palpated her. She only had a small cervix and nothing beyond. She went to the market. Sold her brother for $2500 (at 14 months of age). So we did OK!

Most free martins will have extrememly small vulva. That's a pretty good indicator of a freemartin. When you palate em they often don't have anything beyond the cervix, and if they do have uterine horns they are tiny tiny things.

I've noticed most freemartins have extra hair on the bottom of the vulva that is extra long. They also have a masculine look to their head.

BARNSCOOP":1w57nxyt said:
I plan on blood testing this heifer in September and find out for sure.

You can blood test at any time. The people at the lab have told me that 1 out of 13 calves will be a normal breeder. It's predetermined, there is not changing. If the calf shared some of the Y chromosome blood from her brother, she will be a freemartin.

Latest posts