Freemartin

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Guy":3l2ualc2 said:
A freemartin is a sterile female. They usually come from being a twin.

For clarity, it's twin to a bull. Twin heifers are fine.
The repro organs are wonky in a freemartin. It can range from a vestule penis to just not having enough hormones to maintain a pregnancy.

So in an instance of a bull and heifer in a set of twins are both sterile, or only one?

Angus In Texas":3k4a51tq said:
Does this same principle hold true for other species including humans?

This was discussed a while back, if I remeber correctly, always doubtful, it seems that it can happen sheep or goats but it's a rare occurence. Twin catt;e usually share the same placenta that's the reason for the mixing of the male hormones with the heifers bloodstream that causes freemartinism.

there has been cases where the twin female from a male:female set has been able to breed. This instance of them being sterile isn't 100%. With that said it is high enough where you don't want to take a chance with her. 99+% she is probably sterile.

Diehard40":1l3x5qmr said:
99+% she is probably sterile.

I don't really think it is that high. Dun? I have heard 90 plus for years and read studies in the low 90's. All in All, even if it were 70 or 80%, why take a chance?

backhoeboogie":2nvzuc6a said:
Diehard40":2nvzuc6a said:
99+% she is probably sterile.

I don't really think it is that high. Dun? I have heard 90 plus for years and read studies in the low 90's. All in All, even if it were 70 or 80%, why take a chance?

The numb er I've alwasy heard bandied about is 90 plus percent. That said, I've never seen a heifer born twin to a bull that wasn't sterile. I've heard tell of them, but never seen it. There is a blood test that you can get done through UC Davis that will tell if it's a freemartin or not. If I had a heifer that I was really high on, we did several years ago, I'ld get the blood test then abide by the findings. Our;s was very good eating.

Latest posts