Free Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was given these fields about 10 acres in total to farm for no rent just keep the place looking nice the previous farmer said he didn't have time to fool with this place and the owner was going to pay to have it cleaned up.

IMG_20160909_072945158_zpstxf2rkec.jpg

IMG_20160909_073036038_HDR_zpspj7ixupv.jpg

IMG_20160909_072953695_HDR_zps5bt8djfi.jpg

If it is close and convenient then go for it. BUT, make sure you get a SIGNED lease of some sort before you put anything into it, like fertilizer etc...as soon as you get it cleaned up nice, someone will come along and offer to rent it from the owner and then all your money will be lost. Have had it happen a time or two. Especially if we get a drought year and people are scrambling to find more hay to make etc. Handshakes are good, but a signed lease puts it all out in front so neither one feels like they have been taken advantage of. Only smart fair way for all parties. We have people we rent land from, people we have used their place for free, and all are on paper now. Protects both sides and most are fine with "more than a handshake" and understand it if for their protection too.

farmerjan":q5xc6161 said:
If it is close and convenient then go for it. BUT, make sure you get a SIGNED lease of some sort before you put anything into it, like fertilizer etc...as soon as you get it cleaned up nice, someone will come along and offer to rent it from the owner and then all your money will be lost. Have had it happen a time or two. Especially if we get a drought year and people are scrambling to find more hay to make etc. Handshakes are good, but a signed lease puts it all out in front so neither one feels like they have been taken advantage of. Only smart fair way for all parties. We have people we rent land from, people we have used their place for free, and all are on paper now. Protects both sides and most are fine with "more than a handshake" and understand it if for their protection too.

Its 200 yds from some of my cattle. I am a weird o I carry business contracts and generic legal lease contracts in my trucks cause you never know. This will be with me for the next 5 years unless they sell the land. I do everything in a legal manner as a business owner I learned a lot in the past 17 years. Everything needs to be on a legal contract before I touch anything.

I have a 25+ acre hay field that I cut rent free. I have no contract at all, and really don't see the need for one. I was told it's mine to do as I please and all I have to do is keep it looking good. I've sprayed, limed and fertilized it heavy this year, and maybe spent $5k on it this year. Now that's is looking good 2 different farmers have stopped by wanting to cut it for hay. And they've offered good money because hay is really tight. The girls gave me their word and that's good enough for me. I refuse to call anyone a liar until they prove it.

A lease is only as good as the people signing it. If the person that owns the land wants out and u don't want to fight it in court then there's nothing u can do.

pricefarm":zjnk96z0 said:
A lease is only as good as the people signing it. If the person that owns the land wants out and u don't want to fight it in court then there's nothing u can do.

I put stipulations in on the lease but I don't mind fighting in court it helps having a cousin that's a partner in a law firm.

pricefarm":3hppkaw6 said:
Not true - get a signed lease and specify exactly what you're liable for as well as the landowner (taxes, etc.). I wouldn't want to drop a lot of money if fertilizer and weed control to find out after you have it in good shape that someone else leases it out from under you.

I am thinking about planting oats and rye this year and cut it for squares to sell to the horse people in the spring then pearl millet in the summer and fescue next fall.

skyhightree1":3p0rxhyn said:
I am thinking about planting oats and rye this year and cut it for squares to sell to the horse people in the spring then pearl millet in the summer and fescue next fall.
That's why you need a lease. What would stop someone from coming in and offering the owner so much money the next year for the land? If you're going to spend the money to plant get a lease and have every thing spelled out. You wouldn't want to spend that money this year and then next year have it taken away. You should go for a minimum of a five year lease if you're going to spend that kind of money. Just my opinion.

kilroy60":2g27q55f said:
skyhightree1":2g27q55f said:
That's why you need a lease. What would stop someone from coming in and offering the owner so much money the next year for the land? If you're going to spend the money to plant get a lease and have every thing spelled out. You wouldn't want to spend that money this year and then next year have it taken away. You should go for a minimum of a five year lease if you're going to spend that kind of money. Just my opinion.

I never said I didn't have a lease... I think you should read threads a lil better... ;-)

I just went up and knocked on their door and introduced myself. Then we discussed what I wanted and they wanted. This land hadn't been worked in years so I thought I'd ask.

Waterway65":1d83sddu said:
How do I get neighbors who will lease for free? lol

With hunting season around the corner I stopped by and asked if it was still ok that I hunt there and she asked would I tend it etc.

skyhightree1":zwtvurpc said:
kilroy60":zwtvurpc said:
skyhightree1":zwtvurpc said:

I never said I didn't have a lease... I think you should read threads a lil better... ;-)
Sorry - just got caught up with the free lease subject I guess. :roll:

skyhightree1":ozrpiot0 said:
Waterway65":ozrpiot0 said:
How do I get neighbors who will lease for free? lol

With hunting season around the corner I stopped by and asked if it was still ok that I hunt there and she asked would I tend it etc.
There's more of those type places around here than one would think. The trick is to find one that is already fenced at least to some extent--and has water on it. Lots of places have been let go to overgrowth by family members when the Patriarch has died or gotten in bad health and the kids had no interest in it, and the elderly spouse can't take care of it. I know of 3 places less than 20 miles away, 40 ac or more, that I could get leased just on the terms of me grazing it in return for repairing and keeping the fences up, but I'm just not interested in taking on any more property to manage at my age. Some folks here lease no cash, in exchange for general maintenance just to keep an ag property tax exemption on the property. That's kind of tricky, as you have to show who the 'operator' is and their actual production, but it's doable.

Latest posts