FREE, HEY HEY HEY

Help Support CattleToday:

starbaby

Reaction score
HUBBY WAS ON THE WAY TO WORK \ HE SAW PEOPLE MOWING GRASS AT BIG OFFICE BUILDING \ HE PULLED OVER AND ASKED THEM WHAT THAY WERE GOING TO DO WITH IT , THAY WERE GOING TO THROW IT AWAY \ THIS WAS PRIME GREEN GRASS\ THAY HAD PUT IT INTO BAGS \ HE SAID LOADER UP ON THIS TRUCK \ GOT 42 BIG BAGS OF GRASS FOR 0.00 \ COWS LOVED IT

Great Starbaby, recycling can work!!. Another man's trash is another man's treasure. Gold or grass is where you find it. That is some treasure, 42 bags!!!. You guys are on your toes, quick thinking!! :D :D :D Merry

That is fantastic! Pays to keep an eye out.

Alice

Sometimes there are a lot of small lots around that just get mowed, if you ask you may be able to bale those lots. My neighbor runs around mowing and baling about 10 lots from 2 acres to 10 acres on the outskirts of a small town.

Wouldn't do it unless I knew for sure it was not sprayed with something that might not be allowed for hay/grazing.

Also, be careful feeding freshly mowed grass. Let it wilt, or even dry like hay. If fed fresh, don't allow them to eat all they want, feed hay too.

Chris H":5o314ttg said:
Also, be careful feeding freshly mowed grass. Let it wilt, or even dry like hay. If fed fresh, don't allow them to eat all they want, feed hay too.

For years I have mowed my 1 acre+ yard areas and dump it straight to the cows from the mower bags. They love it anytime of the year, even in knee deep pasture. I don't fertilize the yards or even water them.

What is the caution I should know about?

Thanks,
Alan

They might bloat if they get too much of a different feed, Alan.

And Sometimes if they waller around a big gob of finely cut grass in their mouth it will stick together and get caught in their throat and they will choke. I've seen the latter happen in horses more often than cattle though.

I talked to local nursery's back in March that do landscaping for office buildings hoping I could work a deal for their grass clippings this summer. 2 of them said they used herbicides that were not apporved for livestock and the other 2 used another company for spraying. The spray companies would not tell me what they used but said it wasn't appoved for livestock.

Good for you, thats good feed. It will spoil in those bags quickly though.

mnmt

A pharmacist that my wife works with runs a registered charlois cattle herd.Back in the early summer,he had some new neighbors come in from out of state.They mowed their yard and raked up all the loose grass.Being city slickers,they just threw it over into his field.Anyways,he lost a big registered charlois heifer that was seen eating the grass that they threw over his fence.

Latest posts