Freak horse injury

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
This our top usin horse (that's code for he's blowed up in the box, but you can pasture rope off of him, and rope sleds). Came home to this train wreck yesterday, not sure at all how it happened. I do Saturday morning thee dogs ran several weaned calves through a fence. I'm gonna guess they came back for more while I was at work, but idk. Picture may not show what is going on. Horse is in the hay ring, leg is out, and hooked back in.

Cut in his leg to the bone, couldn't be stitched. No tendon/ligament damage. I'm not ruling out an infection claiming him, because a horse don't seem to mount the best immune response. Probably gonna be a terrible scar, but I'll do what I can.

Sorry to see that. Glad it didn't get any ligaments or tendons. Being as you unroll your hay for the cows have you ever tried to unroll hay for the horses?

uplandnut said:
Sorry to see that. Glad it didn't get any ligaments or tendons. Being as you unroll your hay for the cows have you ever tried to unroll hay for the horses?

Nah. It'd be less than a roll per day, and more trouble than I need. Wish I fed square bales.

TCRanch said:
Ouch, that's ugly! Hope he heals. Did you get the calves back? And were these wild dogs or do you know who owns them?

Got em back, but couldn't drive em back. Luckily they came back on their own at feeding time. I guess these were just neighborhood dogs. No proof they were in on the horse.

wbvs58 said:
A bit of a contortionist to get into that situation BF. Where is the wound?

Ken

About 2 inches infront of his back chestnut. Walking fine this afternoon thankfully. Had been of a mind to to trade this horse off, were never going to be able to fix his box issues. He came to us bad in the box, but needed another horse to rope sleds.

I found out today, my dad saw the horse at 3:30, and was out eating. We found him that way at 4:10. Glad he wasn't like that as long as I had feared.

Bigfoot said:
Picture taken on a happier day:

That's a good lookin' horse! If he has an open wound, clean it with a bar of dove soap. It is gentle enough, but will keep it clean and let the wound close up really nicely.

Really sorry about your horse. I'd hazard a guess the marauding dogs harassed him into entanglement in the feeder ring and likely he was kicking to protect himself. I've nursed some back to healed & sound that were way worse off than this but its a tough to row to hoe. Good luck with him.