Frances?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2660kw76 said:
I'm not sure just how much more those poor people in Florida can take. Hope the next one veers out to sea from the east coast.

I am with you sure hope it turns North and misses everybody but it sure doesn't look like it is.
I feel for them to, but you also know the dangers of living on the Gulf Coast or Eastern seaboard. We all have our poisons tornados earthquakes hurricanes blizzards etc.

Been in blizzards, don't like them, hurricaines and typhoons, not to crazy about them, tornados, very ugly, earthquakes, scarry and most unpleasant. But long term drought, excessive high humidity and temps are a real booger too.
But that's ma nature. You just put up with it and rationalize it to yourself that it's always worse with whatever you don't get and somebody else does.

dun

Bill,
I have lived in FL all may life (48 yrs). Before last month I had to deal with ONE hurricane and I lived on the Gulf Coast. We had ones come close but really no effects from them. Granted I may have to deal with three in a one month period but when spread out over a lifetime probably no worse than all the droughts, earthquakes, blizzards, floods, tornadoes, etc. that everyone else has had to deal with.

If I was you I wouldn't inform the yankees and retirees about the dangers of FL and CA because then they might start moving to your state and drive up prices so bad that you can't afford land like they've done here.

Chris

Bill,

I'm double dumb!

Our primary residence in in Orange Beach, Al between Mobile, AL and Pensacola, FL. Today I am at our beach house in Akumal, Mexice 60 miles south of Cancun. The house is about 50 feet from the ocean at an elevation of about 8 feet.

In the '90s we had four hurricanes in five years in Orange Beach. Thank goodness none were over a 2. Our insurance runs over $6000/yr there with a 5% deductible for wind damage which means we have to pay the first 5% of the policy value before they pay anything. We can't afford flood coverage.

Most people who live on the beach realize we live in "temporary housing". But it`s worth it!

eric":2ketwwgr said:
What determines if a hurricane is named after a man or a woman?

Does it have something to do with where it originates at?

Every other one is a male. Pacific or atlantic are seperate lists of names but still every other one. The lists are generated before the first of the yeasr . It was just recently that they started using both male and female names.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3tjqac5r said:
You musta lived in all 4 corners of the world huh Dun? Experienced ALL THAT !

Most of it was in the US. Forgot to mention sand storm, flash floods and ice storms. They're all ugly.
I would imagine that the majority of the folks on this board that have lived in multiple places have seen most of them too.

dun

nope, i got some pretty nasty winds last night though and rain all day so i can only imagine what D.R. got.

ffscj":7ant22fc said:
Bill,
I have lived in FL all may life (48 yrs). Before last month I had to deal with ONE hurricane and I lived on the Gulf Coast. We had ones come close but really no effects from them. Granted I may have to deal with three in a one month period but when spread out over a lifetime probably no worse than all the droughts, earthquakes, blizzards, floods, tornadoes, etc. that everyone else has had to deal with.

If I was you I wouldn't inform the yankees and retirees about the dangers of FL and CA because then they might start moving to your state and drive up prices so bad that you can't afford land like they've done here.

Chris

LOL. As long as the double-dipping retirees and Yankees move to Dallas, Austin, or Houston ... Most couldn't survive the West Texas climate with the wind, dryness, sand, etc...lol. Think I'm safe from the immigrants in our areaa. :cboy: Years ago when I started college at Texas Tech in Lubbock, you could tell a West Texan because the always talked with their teeth closed to keep blowing sand out in the Lubbock area...lol.

So far Hurricane Ivan is doing more damage than Frances! Thousands of dollars are damanged in Barbados and 9 people has died in Grenada from Ivan's destruction...it has yet to do any damage in the States yet! geeeezzz.... wild Hurricane season!

Western Washington has no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no blizzards, no poisonous snakes, an occasional earth quake but they barely rattle the dishes. Mild temperatures in the summer and winter. I am beginning to think the winter rains are a good thing compared to what the rest of you have to put up with. Well we did blow the top off that mountain a few years back but it was too tall to be of any use anyway. Besides, what are the odds of two volcanoes occurring during one persons life?
Dave

Dave I would not speak to soon on that. You still have mt rainer and several other that the names excapes me right now that our over due to vent like st helens.

I have had my fill of Frances :mad: :mad: :mad:
I have 8 inches of rain- non stop since 8 or so last night. There is a gully 2 ft wide and 3 ft deep that has washed through the machine shed. I have had 4 new calves in this mess since last night. My horses have learned to doggy paddle and the bull has grown fins. The cows are on the highest ground I own and the river and creek are still swelling. There is no end to the rain untill tomorrow night sometime; maybe. Tornado warnings and high wind advisery through out this evening into tomorrow afternoon. Now the roof is leaking!!

The good news is...I just heard that both my uncles are ok. One lives in Palm Dale and the other in Lake Placid. Don't know about their property, but that is all replaceable. Their lives are not. I wish the best for all the others that have been effected by this year's weather. I know my problems are mild compared to their's. My prayers are with them.

certherfbeef":27oxvfm0 said:
I have had my fill of Frances :mad: :mad: :mad:
I have 8 inches of rain- non stop since 8 or so last night. There is a gully 2 ft wide and 3 ft deep that has washed through the machine shed. I have had 4 new calves in this mess since last night. My horses have learned to doggy paddle and the bull has grown fins. The cows are on the highest ground I own and the river and creek are still swelling. There is no end to the rain untill tomorrow night sometime; maybe. Tornado warnings and high wind advisery through out this evening into tomorrow afternoon. Now the roof is leaking!!

The good news is...I just heard that both my uncles are ok. One lives in Palm Dale and the other in Lake Placid. Don't know about their property, but that is all replaceable. Their lives are not. I wish the best for all the others that have been effected by this year's weather. I know my problems are mild compared to their's. My prayers are with them.

Get ready for round two or three depending on where you live.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... model.html