Four Star Livestock Trailer Price Opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

blueberrypie

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used 1998 4-Star 22' Aluminum Gooseneck Livestock Trailer. 7K axles, side escape door and 1 central cut gate. Slider and swing out in the back. Condition looks "good". Assuming no structural damage, I would like opinions on price range.

Thanks for any help.

I'd figure at least $7-8k maybe $8500 if it's really nice, has 5 brand new tires, and a new battery on the break-away.

If it is in good shape and good tires anything less than 11k is pretty good if you have to pick a starting point @ 9k. Aluminum holds it's value pretty good so about 1k less than it sold for new is what it's worth anything less than that is a deal. Check the floor good though urine will eat aluminum so make sure it's not eating up. If you get it try to wash it out fairly regular and put a little baking soda on the floor. Four Stars pull great and are well built.

should be around the $10k range new one would be around $16k
4star is a good trailer I had one for several yrs and it hauled cattle atleast 3 days a week mine was a 24ft
it even went thru a heck of a wreck ( tore ball out of truck and slid down the hyway about 100ft on its side after it took the bed off the truck ) and made it thru with only cosmetic damage

Thanks - appreciate the input.

It has 4x4 Steel subframe on 12" centers. Anyone see problems with this as far as strength (they now sell with 9-5/8" centers) and road salt corrosion issues (I'm in MI).

Also - very possibly a dumb question, but: The weight is: 3800# and GVWR is: 14550#, so is my max cattle weight = 10,750# or does loading heavier "to the front" transfer weight to the truck and increase payload of trailer? If I get stopped by highway patrol - do they just measure the axle weights of trailer?

Thanks.

Depending on the design 12" centers could be stronger than 9 5/8" I don't know how the design was changed, but it is a company with a good reputation so I would not be concerned about that.

Salt corrosion is something to be concerned about though. I'd be very leery, if you're not mechanically inclined have someone look it over very well from the bottom side.

You can't "shift" the load to the truck to get a higher gross, the max GVWR is the max weight no matter where it is situated in the trailer.

Don't know what the highway patrol in MI would do but if they want to know what your weight is, they will find out one way or another.

Latest posts