Founder Timing

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I bought a bred heifer from a sale - nice heifer, but fed too hard for the sale. Between her first and second calf she got hunch backed and was having trouble walking - front feet. I thought she had hardware originally, now I'm not so sure. She's gotten better - roach back is down significantly - but she clearly walks flat footed up front now and her toes are starting to grow out. Never seen / had one founder. Thoughts?

I turned some heifers out on a pasture that was about knee deep in arrowleaf clover and when I brought them home in the fall one had REAL LONG toes. Vet said she foundered on the clover ???

angus9259":3hc5cj7n said:
I bought a bred heifer from a sale - nice heifer, but fed too hard for the sale. Between her first and second calf she got hunch backed and was having trouble walking - front feet. I thought she had hardware originally, now I'm not so sure. She's gotten better - roach back is down significantly - but she clearly walks flat footed up front now and her toes are starting to grow out. Never seen / had one founder. Thoughts?
Sounds like severe acidosis resulting in the long toes. You can try trimming them but they'll just grow back in time.

Latest posts