foreign exchange student

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa hawkeyes

Reaction score
We are picking up our German foreign exchange student on Friday. We are getting excited as we have never had one before and hope it goes ok. I'll have my own two in high school now too and hubby thought it would be fun. He is familiar with farming so that's good. He wanted to play soccer but our school doesn't have it so he'll try football as a Kickers. We told the coach to just don't let him get killed out there.

iowa hawkeyes":q4zsnkue said:
We are picking up our German foreign exchange student on Friday. We are getting excited as we have never had one before and hope it goes ok. I'll have my own two in high school now too and hubby thought it would be fun. He is familiar with farming so that's good. He wanted to play soccer but our school doesn't have it so he'll try football as a Kickers. We told the coach to just don't let him get killed out there.
What year HS is he in?

good for you. sound like that would be fun to learn alittle about another culture from an exchange student. plus you will be able to talk like - Colonel Klink- I see nothing. LOL

Congratulations on your new experience. We did not host anybody but became very close
with an exchange student from Denmark and one from Germany. The cultural lessons you
will learn are amazing. Just remember that teenagers from overseas are a lot more mature
than ours. Learn all you can about their part of the world and be careful about WWII and the
Hitler thing. Keep us posted on your new experience.

Greg,

Yes Greg that will hit close to home for him I'm sure. He just turned 17 so I'm not sure what class he'll go into- I don't knownthat it matters

Greg":1ituafzz said:
Congratulations on your new experience. We did not host anybody but became very close
with an exchange student from Denmark and one from Germany. The cultural lessons you
will learn are amazing. Just remember that teenagers from overseas are a lot more mature
than ours.
Learn all you can about their part of the world and be careful about WWII and the

Greg,

I'm not trying to scare you or any thing of the such. I'm searching for the right words and they aren't there. But, this could be taken in more than one way and if there was an all of the above choice, that would probably be the correct answer.

Hey Greg you got me laughing!
We had a host student from Germany over 10 years ago. He was a pretty good kid except hitting the deer with hubby's car and the drinking party he got busted at and we got the 2am call from the cops. Yeah he knew he was not legal here but did it anyway. Found out he had a beer in each hand and yelled Let's Party at the sheriff's deputy when he pulled up. The kids all scattered and he about broke his neck thinking he was jumping off a ledge.

It was a blast though. I would like to do it again but I'm not sure hubby would agree.

Oh do not make home made dog biscuits and not tell them. Mine didn't like them! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

iowa hawkeyes":1hw37ys4 said:
Yes Greg that will hit close to home for him I'm sure. He just turned 17 so I'm not sure what class he'll go into- I don't knownthat it matters
I would think it well might matter if he plans to use credits here for transfer back home for graduation.
In discussions with our German friends it seems the systems are different. Could be very confusing if not monitored carefully.
I know that here in higher education transferring from one school to another within the same state can sometimes turn into a nightmare. I don't know about high school.

Jogeephus this whole international thing is fascinating to me. High tech transportation and communication has opened up an almost science fiction like scenario.
I'm waiting for the day when you can step into one of those phone booth like contraptions, dial a location, and you are instantly there.
Are you old enough to remember phone booths?

Unfortunately I suspect that you will find out that he is ahead of your teenagers in learning. Several german transplants that I have dealt with have been somewhat more educated than American teenagers of the same age. I don't think they are smarter, I just think they are made to work harder than most of ours are.

My brother and his wife hosted a 17 yo boy from china. His name was Quinn, both parents were surgeons. A great great kid. The first night we all went to greet him at the airport, he was the typical Chinese looking geek. I could not of been more wrong. Intelligent, absolutely, but funny and outgoing also. The night we brought him over to our house my wife's cat was on the porch and he got excited and said very loudly " dinner" as he pointed at the cat. We were all shocked and then he grinned and said " just kidding". Enjoy the experience, and bless you for giving a child a memory.

Commercialfarmer":22sd3ol1 said:
Greg":22sd3ol1 said:
than ours.
Learn all you can about their part of the world and be careful about WWII and the

Greg,

I'm not trying to scare you or any thing of the such. I'm searching for the right words and they aren't there. But, this could be taken in more than one way and if there was an all of the above choice, that would probably be the correct answer.
:nod: I know of a few half Chilean kids running around town. That guy knew how to have fun in a small town. :lol:

papavillars":15ex918k said:
My brother and his wife hosted a 17 yo boy from china. His name was Quinn, both parents were surgeons. A great great kid. The first night we all went to greet him at the airport, he was the typical Chinese looking geek. I could not of been more wrong. Intelligent, absolutely, but funny and outgoing also.
The night we brought him over to our house my wife's cat was on the porch and he got excited and said very loudly " dinner" as he pointed at the cat. We were all shocked and then he grinned and said " just kidding". Enjoy the experience, and bless you for giving a child a memory.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

We picked up Friday night. He seems like a great kid! He skyped his parents and grandparents today after church and so we got to see them. He lives in ansmall village and his grandparents live across the road and have 200 diary cows so it's nice that he isnfamilar with farm life. He was impressed with our John deere 9620. It's beennvery rainy in Germany so he isnloving the sunny weather here. We drove home Friday night with a thunderstorm brewing out west and he was fascinatedwith it and said he wanted to see a tornado. We told him"no you don't " :) we go. 7" rain too! So far so good!

Glad to hear it is going good so far.

My host son is coming up on the 28th! I can hardly wait to see him. Been 12 years.

Update
Wow! What a year it has been. Our "son" has been such a great addition to our family. He went out for football as the kicker and did a fabulous job. So much so that he will be getting a college scholarship to play at my alma mater. We are so excited to have him back! He will go home for the summer and return in the fall.

He thoroughly embraced us and our way of life on the farm. One story that still makes me laugh and shows how things can get lost in translation... We were picking punkins one day (10 acres) and he said to my husband. "Next year I think you should buy some Mexicans to do this." I said I thought I probably would hire some next year, not buy them. :shock:

He also played basketball (not very good, but improved a lot over the season), joined FFA, youth group, and an adult soccer league.

We went to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving and enjoyed visiting there. We had never been there before and thought it would be fun.

This Saturday his parents, brother, and brother's girlfriend will be arriving from Germany. They will stay a few days and then tour the US. They wanted to go to Yellowstone, but we kind of talked them out of it because it's been such a cold spring. I think they will head south to the Ozarks and Texas. Then to Chicago to fly home.

We are having his farewell, pseudo-graduation, celebration this Sunday. Friends and relatives will join in our party to celebrate our wonderful year with our new "son".

Latest posts