Ford diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

mizzou

Reaction score
I have a 2001 F-250 Ford diesel 4x4 automatic. I bought it used with 25,000 miles on it. It ran awesome for about a year. Then I had to have the turbo replaced because it was leaking oil. It ran good for two months, then it started feeling like it didn't have the power it did. When I put my empty 25 ft gooseneck on it feels like I am pulling a semi trailer, it is ten times as worse if it is loaded with big round bales. Mechanics have ran their scanner on it with a trailer and say it has 18 lbs of boost and is not asking for any more fuel. Has anyone else experienced this problem. When pulling the rpms redline, but your just not going anywhere, mechanics even noticed it. I hate to chip it, as it may complicate the problem. I need to fix it before the warranty is up. Thanks

mizzou":3cxxt110 said:
I have a 2001 F-250 Ford diesel 4x4 automatic. I bought it used with 25,000 miles on it. It ran awesome for about a year. Then I had to have the turbo replaced because it was leaking oil. It ran good for two months, then it started feeling like it didn't have the power it did. When I put my empty 25 ft gooseneck on it feels like I am pulling a semi trailer, it is ten times as worse if it is loaded with big round bales. Mechanics have ran their scanner on it with a trailer and say it has 18 lbs of boost and is not asking for any more fuel. Has anyone else experienced this problem. When pulling the rpms redline, but your just not going anywhere, mechanics even noticed it. I hate to chip it, as it may complicate the problem. I need to fix it before the warranty is up. Thanks

The turbo leaking oil, how severe was that? Ever run the engine low on oil?
Who installed the new turbo? I'd go there first. I imagine that was expensive, so I'd hold their feet to the fire. You must have an extended warranty, if you still have coverage on a 2001 model.

Never owned a truck that new, but 18 lbs of boost makes me think the turbo is doing it's job. The turbo has a warm-up valve on the exit of the exhaust turbine, if it freezes shut it will restrict the exhaust and kill power. This happening so soon after the turbo was replaced makes me wonder. That's just the first thing that poops in to my head.

Go to http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php, sign up and ask these folks, they bleed blue.

cfpinz

When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?

mizzou":1ish7g3c said:

"When pulling the rpms redline, but your just not going anywhere, "
Is the transmission slipping or not shifting?" :roll:

Is there black smoke coming out of the tail pipe when pulling hard? (not getting enough air)

KenB":1ik8v09q said:
Is the transmission slipping or not shifting?" :roll:

That would be my first guess, had a sensor go out in one of the EODs when thet first came out and that was the problem.

dun

I wouldn't be worrying too much about warranty. Make sure the service manager knows that something is wrong BEFORE your warranty period is up, and then legally, they can't refuse to fix it.

As far as the problem, I too would like to know how much black smoke you're getting. As CFPinz said, I'd also check that restrictor plate in the exhaust. We always tossed them, since they did little for warm up.

Rod

There is no black smoke when pulling. It does put out a little blue smoke (not good) after starting, and not warmed up. When the mechanics had their scanner on it, they said it monitored the input into the transmission, and the output and watched for slippage. Is the sensor in the transmission go bad. Is it hard to take off the exhaust warm up. Thanks for the replies and will try that website.

I have a 97 F250 4x4 auto. About two years ago the PCM started going bad. This truck could not move it's shadow. When I go it home it was done. Had to tow it to the stealership and they had a PCM in stock. they told me that they replace 4 or 5 a year.

Just my experience
Sam

Triple L":2wnp186i said:
I have a 97 F250 4x4 auto. About two years ago the PCM started going bad. This truck could not move it's shadow. When I go it home it was done. Had to tow it to the stealership and they had a PCM in stock. they told me that they replace 4 or 5 a year.

Just my experience
Sam

Is the PCM the puter chip module?

dun

:roll: If the engine RPM's are red lined the engine is doing all it can.
If you are not going anywhere it has to be something after the engine.

KenB":199ew55l said:
" :roll: If the engine RPM's are red lined the engine is doing all it can.
If you are not going anywhere it has to be something after the engine.

And if the engines not putting out enough torque to move the truck properly? If you don't have enough power to the ground, the torque converter will never lock up and all you're doing is wasting RPM and slipping. I've also seen trucks who aren't putting any power out that would eventually get to redline, but it took 10 miles to get it there.

Mizzou, it might help if we knew what 'not getting anywhere' meant. Do you mean that when you step on the go pedal, the RPMs shoot up quick and the truck barely moves? If so, thats trans slipping. Or do the RPMs come up very slowly and it takes many, many miles to get up to speed? If so, thats likely a power problem and the converter is never locking up in 3rd or OD.

Rod

Mine has the same problem every now and then. The engine will redline, but won't accelerate. I stop the truck, kill it, pop the hood and drain some diesel out of the fuel filter and crank it back up and it's good to go.

When I am at a dead stop, and hammer it to the floor, it won't hardly squeal the tires, but the rpms shoot up. It just doesn't take off like you think it would. It slowly builds up speed. Now if you kind of dog it and keep it just above 2500 rpm, it seems like it runs a little better. When pulling a trailer it won't hardly move it to begin with. Then it takes forever to get up to 55 mph. I know diesel trucks are built to have quick acceleration, but the problem is it used to be a whole hell of alot quicker.