Ford Diesel Engines?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I need a real farm truck, but can't afford something nice. I'm going to go look at a '91 F350 today with 7.3 diesel. I have no experience with diesels, have heard these engines are bulletproof but I am assuming this one has at least 300k on it. What kind of maintenance for this type of engine, anything to look out for, any advice at all?

I do all of my own mechanical work on vehicles including rebuilding a few engines, but have no experience with injectors and the like. I don't really want something I have to work on all the time though either, I just don't have time anymore.

Edited because of my "powerstroke" confusion.

Great motor...The injectors run off of high pressure oil. Keep up with the oil/filter changes and they are good to go. Do they have maintenance records?

EDIT: I see it is a '91 that is pre-powerstroke turbo that came out in '96

I'd look for something with less miles personally, but it may be OK. There will be worn out parts depending on how it was driven, i.e. suspension, bushings, ball joints, maybe water pump, fuel pump stuff like that with that many miles.

I wish I'd of kept mine with 298k on it. I saw a CLEAN 2001 7.3 150kmi posted on another forum here in TX for $16k.

Kell-inKY":364wzry5 said:
I need a real farm truck, but can't afford something nice. I'm going to go look at a '91 F350 today. I have no experience with diesels, have heard these engines are bulletproof but I am assuming this one has at least 300k on it. What kind of maintenance for this type of engine, anything to look out for, any advice at all?

I do all of my own mechanical work on vehicles including rebuilding a few engines, but have no experience with injectors and the like. I don't really want something I have to work on all the time though either, I just don't have time anymore.
My old one had over 500k when I sold it to my son he drove it a couple years and sold it still see it from time to time.
My current 02 only has 165k on it and it is not for sale.
I run a pint of 2 cycle tcw oil with ever fill up since low sulfur diesel came out in 06.
Be sure to change the tranny fluid and drain the converter every 36k like Ford recommends or it can be
Costly I paid that stupid tax once.

Phillip is right,

I got that wrong, NOT a Powerstroke, was not paying attention I guess and I've looked at a million trucks seems like here lately. Sorry about that. I guess this is what they call an IDI engine? Would explain the dirt cheap price as well.

I am still looking at a few other Powerstroke F250's though so any info is good info. My cousin had lots of trouble out of his 6.0, and have been told the 6.4 has pretty poor fuel economy?

As far as I know, all Ford 6.9 and 7.3 diesels are IDI engines. As are the GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. If I was in rhe market to buy a diesel pickup, which I'm not, I'd probabaly be considering a Duramax or Cummins :idea:

Be careful with the 6.0. I have a 2004 and didn't have any trouble 'til 230kmi. But some do. I suspect it is the chipped, hotrodded, not well maintained that have the problems.
I Replaced High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP), turbo variable-vanes were WORN PLUMB OUT, and I had to put a new turbo on it. Oil cooler went out while it was still under warranty (thank goodness I guess). Keep the EGR cleaned every so often, or replace with new, simple/cheap insurance.

Those are the main things are what you need to watch for in the 6.0.

Headbolts are often mentioned as "problems", but it is a symptom of not taking care of the EGR, watching temps, and thus overheating and boom there goes the head gasket....

If you can understand how the 6.0 and Powerstoke is designed (injector run on high pressure oil system vs. injector fuel-pump like dodge) and can turn a wrench (or google repair videos) you should be OK.

I haven't kept up with the latest Powerstokes but too have heard of low fuel mileage in the 6.4. I had a '96 7.3 for 289kmi and currently a '04 6.0 with 230kmi What is the newest 6.7? My son had one and it was a BEAST! If you can get past the DEF and all of that, crap. My next vehicle will be a covered wagon.

I heard the 7.3 IDI's were good engines, though lacked a bit of power.. There's an anti-cavitation additive that MUST get added to the antifreeze to prevent block pitting around the cylinders, the 7.3 was more susceptible to it that the older 6.9 as the cylinders were thinner.. They were known for being suckers for glow plugs, and would get really ornery to start if some of your glow plugs were burnt out. They smell aweful for the guy behind you!

If you're looking for a good truck from that era, it should do, another workhorse was the Dodge with a cummins... for ultimate simplicity stay with the 1993 and earlier, if you want a better ride and power, go with the later ones

I love my 7.3 diesel fords. have 2 right now one with 238k miles and one with 118k. if it were me I'd stay away from the non turbo models. 6.0 fords had issues but you can find some out there that have been "bulletproofed". The 6.4 is a good engine but you are right the mileage did suffer on those models. Love my diesels but I would seriously consider gassers for the next truck, you will find diesels with well over 300k on them but usually the only thing that has that kind of mileage is the block, everything else still wears out and it costs quite a bit more to replace. just my .02.

The other thought on the 6.4 is if your not running down the road a lot you will have problems with the dpf filter plugging up and putting you out of service, we have one for plowing and driving into town to plow and plowing is not enough to keep it clean.

I have 99 f250 that my dad bought new in 1998. It has 230,000 hard miles on it. It has been through several glow plugs, rebuilt front end a water pump and all the other stuff that wears out. It is still a really good truck and will likely die on this farm, but I really think that will be a long time from now. I would look for this powerstroke I think they were from 96 to half way into 03. Try to find one that has not hopped up to blow smoke by kids. Good luck I think you are on the right track.

My dad's 96 7.3L has had the clutch and fuel bowl replaced. Nothing else. Odometer stopped working around 140K miles so the total mileage is unknown

I have a 92 F250 it has the 7.3 IDI diesel. It's a little light on power from the factory. But all you have to do is advanced the injection pump a smidgen till it blows a little black smoke. Mine has 430k miles and still runs strong. I've always burnt used motor and hydraulic oil in it most of the time. But since the price of fuel is affordable for now, my old truck is just parked in the barn. I have over 500 gallons of old oil saved up for when the oil companies start screwing us again. If you have any other questions just ask and I'll try and help you out.

Powerstroke first came out 1/2 way through the 1994 production run, so you will sometimes see them listed as a 1994.5 Powerstroke.

Kell-inKY":br6e0qap said:
I need a real farm truck, but can't afford something nice. I'm going to go look at a '91 F350 today with 7.3 diesel. I have no experience with diesels, have heard these engines are bulletproof but I am assuming this one has at least 300k on it. What kind of maintenance for this type of engine, anything to look out for, any advice at all?

Edited because of my "powerstroke" confusion.

What kind of weight are you going to pull?
As far as the IDI's go, I have had great luck with the 6.9 and 7.3 pre turbo and with the turbo. They will run forever and are low maintenance in my experience running them in a oil field hot business. I had several go 500k and 1 that I remember with 800k on it. When Ford went to the Power stroke, that's when I went to Cummins. That truck should have 4.10's I would think and pull 12k pretty easily down the road. Another thing to consider on these high mileage trucks is the suspensions. Its often overlooked and it is expensive to rebuilt front ends, replace leaf spring bushings etc.

My 02 7.3 6 speed so far has been trouble free. It has 31k miles on it and still looks like new as its home is inside the garage.

jltrent":v6qh9yqd said:
My 02 7.3 6 speed so far has been trouble free. It has 31k miles on it and still looks like new as its home is inside the garage.

That year, motor and low miles is worth a lot of coin. Probably in the 25k-30k range.

saltbranch":1or12vgw said:
What kind of weight are you going to pull?
As far as the IDI's go, I have had great luck with the 6.9 and 7.3 pre turbo and with the turbo. They will run forever and are low maintenance in my experience running them in a oil field hot business. I had several go 500k and 1 that I remember with 800k on it. When Ford went to the Power stroke, that's when I went to Cummins. That truck should have 4.10's I would think and pull 12k pretty easily down the road. Another thing to consider on these high mileage trucks is the suspensions. Its often overlooked and it is expensive to rebuilt front ends, replace leaf spring bushings etc.

Not that much, but I've been overloading the mule as far as my 1wd chevy is concerned with all the towing I do of tractors and loads of wood and hay, going through 2 sets of brakes in a year etc. plus I want a gooseneck.

I drove the 91 tonight, steering was pretty bad, brakes needed work, a little rough here and there but the engine and transmission seemed great. This is a 2wd dually, I'm not a fan of the twin I-beam setup in it's best state, but worn like this it's a wandering machine. Even with all of that if it had been a 4 door instead of an extended cab I would have bought it. Just a farm truck, and I'm already used to no AC since my truck is not worth fixing anymore.

Thanks for the input to all, I have a couple more to look at, both with 7.3 powerstrokes but quite a bit more money though.

Aaron":21n1o6sk said:
jltrent":21n1o6sk said:

That year, motor and low miles is worth a lot of coin. Probably in the 25k-30k range.
Yea that truck JT has is hard to beat for a hoss. I don't know if I'd want to drive it across the country but it's worth a lot of Value as a truck.

I got a 91 idi , real good truck its probably got 400k+ miles . also got a 6.7 powerstroke ( 100k) going back to a 7.3 would be about like going back to a flip phone . My old flip phone was a good one tho lol . i tjink ford got it right this time with the 6.7 and i believe they will hold their value like the 7.3's are doing

Latest posts