Footrot treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":12ex1gw1 said:
Put the iodine in the minerals, had one calf with it before have had another calf and 2 cows after almost 2 weeks of the increased iodine. Something that is strange but probably just coincidental because of the pasture roation, but every footrot case we've had has been while they are in one particular pasture.

dun

Could be a soil defiency of some sort.?

The only real difference between that particular field and the others is that one of the previous owners, when it was a dairy, ran all of his heifers strictly in that pasture. It would have to be a micronutrient problem if anything in the deficiency category.
When we've rotated the cows back into that field in August-September we've not had a probem. It's just the spring time that there's a problem. They'll be out of there in another week so it may either take care of itself or it may be just a seasonal thing.

dun

dun":l1l3vkdq said:
The only real difference between that particular field and the others is that one of the previous owners, when it was a dairy, ran all of his heifers strictly in that pasture. It would have to be a micronutrient problem if anything in the deficiency category.
When we've rotated the cows back into that field in August-September we've not had a probem. It's just the spring time that there's a problem. They'll be out of there in another week so it may either take care of itself or it may be just a seasonal thing.

dun

All it would take is a minor mineral to cause a problem.you feed Iodine?.

The minerals we feed has 100ppm iodine and we added another 10 pounds to a 50 lb bag per the vets suggestion. We've had 3 of the 4 cases since we increased it.

dun

dun":1ki0dksz said:
The minerals we feed has 100ppm iodine and we added another 10 pounds to a 50 lb bag per the vets suggestion. We've had 3 of the 4 cases since we increased it.

dun

How do you feed it free choice?

Well, here's a post in a post like the other post about posts in a post.

What does footrot look like? One poster, I think JKWilson, said his cows get it when it's dry pasture. Others kinda make you think it's when it's wet pasture. Can it be both? It also seems that LA200 is kind of a cure all for problems. I've never heard this problem mentioned while talking to my mentors. So much to learn, so little time.

Dick

Footrot is a fungus that survives in the soil. Extreme dry/wet conditions can cause it. What happens is the foot gets an open crack or wound, and the fungus enters the opening. Extreme dry causes cracks, extreme wet softens the skin & is easily cut with rocks or sticks. Or the mud builds up inbetween the toes, causing cracks. Normal weather conditions can also have foot rot. Any slight injury opens the foot for the fungus. Clear??? :shock:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Footrot is a fungus that survives in the soil. Extreme dry/wet conditions can cause it. What happens is the foot gets an open crack or wound, and the fungus enters the opening. Extreme dry causes cracks, extreme wet softens the skin & is easily cut with rocks or sticks. Or the mud builds up inbetween the toes, causing cracks. Normal weather conditions can also have foot rot. Any slight injury opens the foot for the fungus. Clear???

Thanks Jeanne - Simme Valley. That is very clear. It seems you have to have optimal conditions. Good luck on that one huh?

Dick

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pnuipl3 said:
Footrot is a fungus that survives in the soil. Extreme dry/wet conditions can cause it. What happens is the foot gets an open crack or wound, and the fungus enters the opening. Extreme dry causes cracks, extreme wet softens the skin & is easily cut with rocks or sticks. Or the mud builds up inbetween the toes, causing cracks. Normal weather conditions can also have foot rot. Any slight injury opens the foot for the fungus. Clear??? :shock:

Actually its a bacteria, that's why LA200 is so effective.
The last bovine hoof disease that will be discussed is hoof rot. Hoof rot in cattle is caused by the bacteria Fusobacterium necophorum. These are anaerobic bacteria that thrive in muddy, damp conditions. Hoof rot can be characterized by a variety of symptoms. The animal will most likely exhibit some degree of lameness. Other symptoms may include a foul smelling discharge, reddened tissue above the hoof, and possibly swelling of the hoof and spreading of the toes ( See Figure 8 ). Treatment for
hoof rot in dairy cattle consists of treatment with systemic antibiotics that will not interfere with milking and do not have a milk withdrawal time. The key to treating and preventing hoof rot in cattle is by keeping the living quarters as clean as possible, by regular hoof trimming, and through the use of footbaths. Typically, copper sulfate is used in footbaths to harden the hoof and adjacent tissue, making it more difficult for bacterial infection to become established. Oral feeding of increase levels of biotin and zinc may harden the hoof tissue as well.
Figure 6. An overgrown bovine hoof due to laminitis
Figure 7. Hairy heel warts in cattle Photo courtesy of Dr. Simon Kenyon
Figure 8. Hoof rot in cattle Photo courtesy of Barry Steevens. State Extension

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/ID/ID-321-W.pdf for more detailed info on hoof problems.

Jeanne -

Your information has been very valuable to me, IMO certainly an asset to those of us who use the boards (& don't know it all yet). Didn't mean to call you on it, just thought it better to set the record straight.

ive read where yall are talking about catttle getting footrot from possably where dairy cattle have been i dairied 28yrs fore i retired grew up in it and now run beef cows where the dairy is an knock on wood havent treated a case of footrot or pinkeye either scott

when they had us use a copper sulfate bath & or walk through hydraded lime i thought either was supposed to kill the bacteria. eddi salt (iodine) was supposed to make the hoof harder

bigbull338":2ylakyan said:
ive read where yall are talking about catttle getting footrot from possably where dairy cattle have been i dairied 28yrs fore i retired grew up in it and now run beef cows where the dairy is an knock on wood havent treated a case of footrot or pinkeye either scott

My concern isn't because it was a dairy as much as because of the types of cattle and the managment they had.
The previous owners got hooked up with a Holstein jockey.................

dun

Farminlund":rwzbsaj4 said:
Jeanne -

Your information has been very valuable to me, IMO certainly an asset to those of us who use the boards (& don't know it all yet). Didn't mean to call you on it, just thought it better to set the record straight.

Thanks, you are absolutely right. We all mess us occasionally & it needs to be corrected right away so noone goes away with wrong info. It's bad enough that we all have strong "opinions" that can be misleading, don't need wrong facts.

After having a case on one of my calves I seen where there is a vaccine for foot rot. Any one use it?

tom4018":33bt2oce said:
After having a case on one of my calves I seen where there is a vaccine for foot rot. Any one use it?

Not heard of it - who's the mfgr & where do you purchase it? If its a one time vaccine, I would certainly give a try. Just treated my 4th case of the season last week. Have dealt with it for over 20yrs, some yrs worse than others but nearly every at least a couple of cases (with some season being down right troublesome).

Farminlund":f65bumg5 said:
tom4018":f65bumg5 said:

Not heard of it - who's the mfgr & where do you purchase it? If its a one time vaccine, I would certainly give a try. Just treated my 4th case of the season last week. Have dealt with it for over 20yrs, some yrs worse than others but nearly every at least a couple of cases (with some season being down right troublesome).

I looked into it when we had our rash of footrot. Don;t recall the name off the top of my head but it takes a couple of shots spaced out over a couple of weeks. The stuff I found only works for one strain that causes footrot. It's a lot like the poinkeye vaccine, as long as that one strain is the problem it should work, if not, it's a waste of time and money.

dun

Latest posts