Footrot treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":177an0vg said:
Why don't yall just add iodine to your feed no footrot no ringworm.

How? Do you mean in a mineral mix? I used to use a high iodine trace mineral salt (Morton TM Plus) but I still had both, so I abondomed that process yr before last.

Caustic Burno":34uell66 said:

Added extra iodine to the minerals, had 4 more cases after that. We moved them to another pasture a week ago and no more problems.

dun

dun":33acmwni said:
Caustic Burno":33acmwni said:

Added extra iodine to the minerals, had 4 more cases after that. We moved them to another pasture a week ago and no more problems.

dun

Funny us that live in a subtropical rain forest don't have footrot or ringworm as everyone here feeds exrta Iodine.

Until theis year we didn;t have problem wither. But with the bizarre weather this year I wouldn;t be surprised by anything. The cows heat cycles are all over the map this year too. They're ranging from 16 to 24 days, never seen anything like it before.
Just one of Ma Natures pranks I guess.

dun

dun it takes time for the iodine to harden the hoof. lots of guys in the dairy buiseness used that til they hollered about iodine in milk

Campground Cattle":2ev2yinv said:
We mix iodine with our minerals also have no problems. You have to in East Texas average 50 to 60" of rain a year.

What is the iodine product you use (ie must be a powder of some sort having a particlar % concentration of iodine).

What is the dosage per head per day (ie mg of iodine) you strive to achieve in your mix with minerals.

Thanks

Farminlund":2ofkj2a6 said:
Campground Cattle":2ofkj2a6 said:
We mix iodine with our minerals also have no problems. You have to in East Texas average 50 to 60" of rain a year.

What is the iodine product you use (ie must be a powder of some sort having a particlar % concentration of iodine).

What is the dosage per head per day (ie mg of iodine) you strive to achieve in your mix with minerals.

Thanks

With mineral we mix 1 pound granular to 150 pounds of mineral to treat footrot. Can't remember the name next time I walk up to the barn I will get the name and concentration.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":50zzdhyh said:
Thanks, you are absolutely right. We all mess us occasionally & it needs to be corrected right away so noone goes away with wrong info. It's bad enough that we all have strong "opinions" that can be misleading, don't need wrong facts.
Thanks Jeanne
It takes a big person to PUBICALLY admit when they have made a mistake. I have respected you and your knowledge for a long time, but my respect for you has just gone up several notches considerably.

Thanks again.