Foot rot problems

Help Support CattleToday:

I am not having problems but their feet never sees a dry patch of ground. Everything here is saturated. The high traffic areas are nothing but liquid mud.

Bright Raven said:
I am not having problems but their feet never sees a dry patch of ground. Everything here is saturated. The high traffic areas are nothing but liquid mud.

I haven't had a case in years after I started supplementing iodine.

Nothing yet. We keep getting graced with a day or two of decent warm winds, sunshine, and temperatures every week so it's holding off here.

I did buy some more needles and syringes just in case though.

I am probably going to regret saying this out loud but we haven't treated a case of foot rot since we started using vita firm minerals. I hope our herdsman Mike doesn't read this because he will be cussing me for jinxing it, and if one comes down with a case now it will be my fault. The truth is he will be right. We were palpating cows one day and were down to four or five left, I opened my big mouth and said wow we haven't had an open all day....yep every one of the ones left were open!

Gizmom

For prevention use EDDI-Salt (eddi = a tamed iodine)
Or eddi can be mixed into feed or salt... 50mg per hd/day to prevent foot rot.
However it is ineffective for treating foot rot.

gizmom said:
I am probably going to regret saying this out loud but we haven't treated a case of foot rot since we started using vita firm minerals. I hope our herdsman Mike doesn't read this because he will be cussing me for jinxing it, and if one comes down with a case now it will be my fault. The truth is he will be right. We were palpating cows one day and were down to four or five left, I opened my big mouth and said wow we haven't had an open all day....yep every one of the ones left were open!

Gizmom

VitaFerm minerals contain no more for foot rot than other minerals. The amaferm in it is an awfully good product though for other things. :nod:

Son of Butch said:
For prevention use EDDI-Salt (eddi = a tamed iodine)
Or eddi can be mixed into feed or salt... 50mg per hd/day to prevent foot rot.
However it is ineffective for treating foot rot.

What I have used for years, local mill will blend it upon request.
I also mix with my minerals I use Right Now.

Tb
You have a much better understanding of minerals than I do, so if you tell me that the mineral hasn't stopped the foot rot I will take your word on it. The mineral was the only management change we could determin since we quit having so many occurrences of foot rot. We do like the mineral and who knows it may have given them something they were lacking that has made them more resistant.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
Tb
You have a much better understanding of minerals than I do, so if you tell me that the mineral hasn't stopped the foot rot I will take your word on it. The mineral was the only management change we could determin since we quit having so many occurrences of foot rot. We do like the mineral and who knows it may have given them something they were lacking that has made them more resistant.

Gizmom

There are some things in there that will improve hoof condition, hardness etc. but no real miracle ingredients. You have just developed a good overall program that promotes hoof health and are seeing the long term results of "prevention". It does have a class of organic minerals that they use but to me they picked the cheapest available for use. As I said though the Amaferm is an awesome product that I dearly love but it is "as advertised".