Fooder systems

Help Support CattleToday:

fstmkt

Reaction score
Newbie question....Is it possible to use just a fodder system to feed a cow?

It says that you can produce a pound of grass for 3-5 cents. If they eat 20 pounds a day and gain 1.5-2.0 pounds and prices are $1 a pound(not sure what prices are), wouldn't you come out ahead .50-1.00?

It's a little more complicated than that. How many beef animals are you thinking of raising?

fstmkt":b8xbz9nm said:

It says that you can produce a pound of grass for 3-5 cents. If they eat 20 pounds a day and gain 1.5-2.0 pounds and prices are $1 a pound(not sure what prices are), wouldn't you come out ahead .50-1.00?

From what I have read its not plausible, maybe with 3-4 cattle but not 10. But hey anything is possible :)

Lots of red flags, I would like to see the set up cost and the production cost. Can't believe it at stated cost per pound.

Bigfoot":1oysbchw said:
What makes you say it's not possible Arkansas?

The numbers he used to calculate isnt right, I am going by todays standards and its not possiable. He is going by an example, so the example would be the part that could be POSSIBLE but the standards of today is not PLAUSIBLE. If I am wrong then I am wrong, it wouldnt be a first or the last :cboy:

What is not right? The only part that a guess is the price per pound. What is the going price for cattle?

fstmkt":8x5yszcv said:

First of all sprouts can be grown for AS LITTLE OF 3-5 cents.. CAN be grown for as little as that does not mean it WILL. So just plan on double what you looked up on the internet. You want to know real results consult a person that actually does it and not look it up on the net. When you get the correct calculations then put them up there and lets see you make a profit :) I believe you will find it want :tiphat:

fstmkt":rweeio4z said:
What is not right? The only part that a guess is the price per pound. What is the going price for cattle?

This is what you read
Feeding sprouts is more affordable than feeding grain or hay. Sprouts can be grown for as little as $0.03 - $0.05 per lb. Start saving on your feed bill with FodderTech.

The main thing in this sentence is CAN, can means with exceptional weather, circumstances, seed etc... The fact is, is if Fodder were the way to go and it was so much better then everyone would be doing it. Sad to say but its the truth. People stick with what works if you find a niche that works I wouldnt be sharing itb because when you do your niche is GONE :cboy:

fstmkt":2bxc81h3 said:
Thanks for the info.

What is the price per pound as of yesterday?

Its different in all areas, where are you located at if you put your lcation on your profile that will give everyone a genral ideal prices, help etc.. :)

It could be 6 cents or 20 cents, your location makes all the diffenrece. :cboy:

I myself have no experiance in the Fodder area, I can offer just information that I know or have read about it. Some times you find people on here that knows alot about it from reading or actual hands on knowledge. I suggest if your looking into Fodder talking to a local that may be doing this already or a County Exstention Office ? Sorry for spelling :(

Mid-East coast from what I have read is going around 13 cents per lb. You can try and find someone in your area that actually does it. But most the time if someone is not doing it then its usally because its not profitable :(

Latest posts