Solar watering systems

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
I'm looking for some information and help on how to install a solar powered watering system. The water source is a fenced off pond/seasonal stream. Water will need to be lifted less than ten feet and carried a distance of 75-100 feet. 20 head.

I started off by going to the local co-op. They had no information for me except to tell me not to do it (they didnt carry any, it would be too expensive, I should use a gas pump).

After researching online I have a few questions:
1. Does any company sell a complete system? It seems like I have to customize it to my situation and I'm worried that after buying panels, pump, charge controllers, pump controllers, pressure switches, etc that there will be some unforeseen incompatibilities among the different products and manufacturers.
2. Batteries. Should I use them? If i do, i don't need a storage tank but they will add another layer of electronics and I am concerned about how to properly store them on site.
3. Pumps. Which would be best? Floating, submersible, other? And are submersible/well pumps the same thing?

Thanks in advance :)

In Australia solar pumping systems have been used for sometime. They are sold as complete systems designed for pumping from bores. They vary in price from about $2000 to unlimited depending on the depth and volume of water to be pumped. They are replacing windmills in many situations. I don't believe they use batteries.
I think the same systems would be available worldwide, all speciality irrigation and water shops stock them.
Ken

How far below the pond is the point that you will be watering the animals?

there have been several threads on this site regarding solar pumping. try searching.

I have a solar setup that I have been running for about eight years.

did the whole thing for about two grand.

my bigest tip is filter the water.....I use old panty hose over a old gallon jug to filter my inlet....keeps the trash from eating up your pump.

I currently pump from a battery becasue there was no need to pump water 12 hours per day just becasue the sun was shining. I installed a timer and a contactor to run the pump to fill my storage tanks. for low lift applications you can use 12 volt pumps from an RV dealer that are a lot cheaper than the solar specialty shops.

for deep lifts and high volumes you need the good heavy solar pumps and run em all day.

One of our pasture wells has a solar pump feeding a 10' dia stock tank. 75 watt collector panel. 12 volt submersible diaphram pump. Output is between 1 and 2 gpm. This well is 80 ft deep.

Another source: Backwoods Solar in Utah. They have a website. We've bought a pump from them. Lots of good info on their site about design, installation stuff.

Our system has collector panel, on/off switch to pump, submersible pump. Nothing else needed.

Latest posts