foaling jennet

Help Support CattleToday:

newguy25

Reaction score
I have got a minidonkey and not sure what her due date is. She was pasture bred in march of 2006 and did not come back into heat in April. Her bag is full, but what comes out when I milk her in pretty clear. She is failry slack in her rear as well. Any ideas wher I am at for a time frame?

matt

Gestation is 12 months for a donkey. Don't milk her any more. That is the colustrum and very important to the foal's well being. The milk doesn't come in until a day or two after foaling (depending on the animal.)

If she "took" in March, she should be very close. From my donkey foaling experience, she should be bagged up some, watch for the teats to engorge and wax up, the vulva will get a little slack and elongated, she may urinate and have a bit of diarrhea before foaling. She'll roll some too and hold her tail out a bit. Keep an eye on her from afar; they can delay labor if they suspect you are watching too closely. They usually find a time when no one is around, like between 1 and 5 AM, though some of mine don't mind my hanging around to watch, but they know me well. After the foal gets up and the cord breaks, use some 7% tincture of iodine on the navel (I use a cut-down papercup). Once up, the foal should start looking for dinner. Equines should expel the afterbirth within 3 hours, I believe. (Sorry, more than you asked, but I got on a roll!) Good luck with the foaling, they usually do just fine!

I just milked her this afternoon after the advice of an equine friend. I won't do that anymore! I guess we will just keep an eye on her.

thanks

She had the baby yesterday in the middle of the afternoon. Mom and baby are both doing well.

matt[/code]

Latest posts