Mare on last stage of foaling

Help Support CattleToday:

pushpendra

Reaction score
Hi there, my new mare is near her foaling but I dont have the covering dates, her udder has now filled with milk but dry as well as the vulva is dry too, tell what are the signs that shall be seen that she is about to deliver in the near days. Also what special care should I do during her delivery ? :cboy:

The best sign I look for is for her to "wax up". When she looks like she has wax on the end of her nipples, even what looks like a drop of wax from her nipples you are within 24 hrs of delivery. As far as care, just stay out of the way until the foal is out the treat the naval area with an Iodine like solution and then make sure you imprint the foal. Imprinting a foal will save you lots of fights down the road in all aspects of training.

Here is a link to a thread on imprinting that was debated a few years back, it starts out on page 1 mixing up imprinting with ground work on a young foal..... so what I'm saying is (IMO) the first few comments are wrong but (IMO) they get corrected on page 2... so make your you at least read the second page if not all of it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33696&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=imprint&start=15

Good luck,
Alan

Latest posts