Flys

Help Support CattleToday:

we went to the local co-op and bought a drape thing. it has a container to hold the back rub solution mix and a wick. We bought some chain and lag bolted it between two trees. (we put one in each pasture(took a bit over a couple of years)works great, cheaper (we bought one new $150 Cdn)in the long run than fly tags and both cow and calf can used it year round for lice(fly tags 2 mo.). put it near their water and mineral source. they will get curious, may take a bit but they will get on to it. the other method is an oiler. google lewis cattle oiler (only brand i know) to get the idea then find a local one.

The simmplist is to spray them every week or so with a pump up sprayer. Combined with IGR/Rabon in their minerals will go a long way towards keeping flys in check

dun

If you have neighbors with cows and they aren't active managing flys then I've found spraying my cows to be the best thing I can do. I do the IGR tubs as well and that helps. Use to have the fly predators and rubs but not as effective for migrant fly population.

So what is it that you mix up to spray them with.Will it work on horses.(Live next to a turkey farm)

I just recently tried the back rubs. The cows wouldnt go near them. I even tried forcing them by putting them in between them and water. They jumped fences and went around rather than going under the rubs. Maybe they are part chicken or fraidycat. I went back to the blocks. If I could figure out a better way to utilize the rubs I would use both.

We used to use the back rubs, but have found for us it is easier to use the fly tags since we run them all through the headgate in the spring for a round of vaccinations. This way we know everyone gets one and one tag lasts until the very tail end of our fly season. One suggestion though is to rotate the active ingredient in whatever you use to help prevent resistence.

Angus/Brangus":ey8nur04 said:
We used to use Wind & Rain minerals (Purina) with fly treatment but the Vet said that if the neighbors weren't controlling them then we would still get flys anyway.

Now, we buy the liquid that goes on a rub/wick and put it in a pumpup sprayer instead and apply directly to the cows backs when we drive by on the 4-wheeler. Works pretty good for a couple of months.
You'll still get some flies, but not as many. Horn flies stay on the host cow for the most part, so even if your neighbors don't use it, it can still work well for you.
The key is having the Altosid in a palatable mineral that cows will eat, even if grass is green. You may need a low salt mineral in your area. Try the Coastal version of Right Now Emerald Fly Control. It has a low salt level made for areas like you are in.

We carry a great line of eartags and dust for flies. I work for KMG BERNUTH. Our Avenger eartag will keep horn flies away from your cattle. This is the first new tag in twenty years. There is no resistance issues. Use two for Avenger tags maximum control. We also have a product that is called Permectrine fly & louse dust. Just the dust to the back of the animal. We also have a Rabon oral larvicide that can be mixed in their feed. Check it out I know you be happy wirth our products.
bye bye

Latest posts