Horse Flys

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Does anyone have a product that keeps these nasty things off the cattle?? I have been spraying everyday which helps with the flies but not the horse flys. They are huge this year!

CKC1586":1t76dyak said:
Does anyone have a product that keeps these nasty things off the cattle?? I have been spraying everyday which helps with the flies but not the horse flys. They are huge this year!

I have never seen anything that actually works.

Good grief I have never seen them as big and as bad as they are this year. Take a chunk right out of em! Drives the cattle crazy trying to swat them off.

Horse flies are such a pain. The last couple of summers I have noticed that on our screen door to our shop these pesky critters like to gather (sunny location - facing west). So I raised the storm window to the first notch (open a couple of inches) and by the end of the day there were several trapped in between the screen and window. Here is a link to a fly trap for horn flies...I wonder if something like this would also work for the horse flies? And then would it be worth the time, trouble and expense?
http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... g01195.htm

Somewhere on the net are plans on how to build a horsefly trap. The only parts I remember are that it has a large ball as part of it and it''s the size of a truck

i use a pour on called ultra boss. I LOVE it. Its like 30 bucks for a bottle that will do something like 50 cows and it last for 8 weeks. You pour it right down there back. works for flies, ticks, lice. good for horses too!

We use Pyrethrin around here, works great on anything that has ever even thought of pestering cattle. Spray the cows and mix it a little stronger in areas that horseflies hatch out. It will also take care of other pests, just spray the extra strength around water and mineral or anywhere flies seem to be hatching. Good luck! :lol: Buzz buzz buzz :D

CKC1586":uliputan said:

Literally 10's of millions of cows in North America manage. Save your money.

Bez+

Latest posts