Fly rubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
For those of you who use fly rubs, how often do you treat them? What is your guide to know when to re-treat?

The web site below has good information on how fly mixture to use on rubs.

http://www.phwhite.com/

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I use those, and recharge when I see an increase in the # of flies or when I rub my hand over the flyps or sock and there isn't a good film of diesel/insecticide on my hand. (wear rubber gloves) Comes out to about once/mo, depending how many head are passing under it in that time period, how much it rained too. Diesel tends to repel rain, but some will wash off and some will evaporate into the air.
If you see the cows just walking back and forth under it or standing under it, ya need to check it.
I use a pour on as well as the rub. Some people use tags and the rubs. Tags didn't work all that great for me so I didn't use any this year.

Thanks Greybeard,

You are close to us, so same conditions would apply. I put 3 gallons of diesel/insecticide on a 10 foot rub and 3 fly bullets. Have them in a v shape around the water tank. We will see how long it keeps the flies down. Don't know that it will keep flies off the cows bellies.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl":m72egbbx said:
Don't know that it will keep flies off the cows bellies.

Farmgirl

That's the exact reason I haven't gone this route. Still have to spray the bellies, so I just use pour on and spray.

I'm seeing mostly heel flies right now. I walk out while the cows are feeding and spray the legs and undersides with a 4 gal backpack sprayer, avoiding anything "hanging down" if you get my drift. :D
I've got Lintox/water in it right now--used 10% peremthrin earlier in the year.

Have y'all in the Houston area tried the XP-820 fly tags? I am about 200 miles north of Houston and gave up on tags years ago til I discovered these XP-820 tags last year and they work incredibly well--the flies just disappear. I had tried all sorts of sprays/rubs and was constantly battling flies til I discovered these tags. It is a different chemical from the two main categories that our flies are apparently resistant to. I put them on in April and just now replaced them. Never thought a tag could work so well.

We have never used fly tags. We spray but hopefully the rubs will help so we won't have to spray as often.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":3h4cyicq said:
Thanks Greybeard,

You are close to us, so same conditions would apply. I put 3 gallons of diesel/insecticide on a 10 foot rub and 3 fly bullets. Have them in a v shape around the water tank. We will see how long it keeps the flies down. Don't know that it will keep flies off the cows bellies.

Farmgirl

Does your rub arrangement leave enough room for the cattle to pass completely under the rub? I use the same rubs with the cloth flypps hanging down and don't have problems with belly flies if you keep the rub well oiled and hanging low enough.

I find a heavy rain will make the rub less effective so I resoak it maybe a day after a rain. If you see flies on them, resoak the rub. Good luck.

Jim

Latest posts