Fly Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

MountainFarmChar":3psek48y said:
dun":3psek48y said:
MountainFarmChar":3psek48y said:
I always have a few calves during the summer that experience some bloating. It's never developed into a problem but if I could make some treated blocks available for them that would prevent this, then I'm for doing it.

MFC

You gota remember that they'll eat the things like candy and they ain;t cheap. The only reason we used one is we had it sitting around for 5-6 years and decided to get rid of it and that seemed a good time and place

Since I never have a bloating issue with the cows, maybe if the blocks were placed in a calf feeder so the cows couldn't get to it they would last a lot longer? Surely the calves alone wouldn't consume that much, or would they?

MFC

I would sure hope they wouldn;t. These girls acted like it was a giant ice cream cone and ate huge hunks out of it.

Crowderfarms":3k3jsof0 said:
My honest opinion of Rabon Fly blocks, and those of the like, is they are about as useful as tits on a Turkey.

What type of fly control methods do you use?

Thanks,
MFC

Crowderfarms":27maulu4 said:
Rubs,Spray when necessary, and a loose Mineral, with IGR, and CTC.

I don't use rubs because I hate how they dirty-up the backs of my Charolais cows.

I guess the black cattle people would say that's just another reason to have black cattle ;-) . The rubs seem to just shine them up good :) .

Thanks for the comments,
MFC

MountainFarmChar":1b1mv4e2 said:
Crowderfarms":1b1mv4e2 said:
Rubs,Spray when necessary, and a loose Mineral, with IGR, and CTC.

I don't use rubs because I hate how they dirty-up the backs of my Charolais cows.

I guess the black cattle people would say that's just another reason to have black cattle ;-) . The rubs seem to just shine them up good :) .

Thanks for the comments,
MFC

You could use Coral dust bags. It's white but some cows think they're toys and will bea on them till they're empty. That one cow won;t have any flys but it doesn;t do much for all of the others

Rumensin blocks on the market now that I am aware of:

Sweetlix Mineral block
ADM Protein block w/ Rumensin
Southern States Co-op protein block w/ Rumensin
Purina protein block w/ Rumensin.

Probably others but we have 3 rumensin blocks private labeled for us to resell.

kyblockhead":2kfnbe8f said:
Rumensin blocks on the market now that I am aware of:

Sweetlix Mineral block
ADM Protein block w/ Rumensin
Southern States Co-op protein block w/ Rumensin
Purina protein block w/ Rumensin.

Probably others but we have 3 rumensin blocks private labeled for us to resell.

Thanks, I will see who carries any of those around here.

Crowderfarms":14uocs66 said:
My honest opinion of Rabon Fly blocks, and those of the like, is they are about as useful as tits on a Turkey.

I know they are a little pricey, but I feel that by reducing the fly population they are cost effective.Besides, the girls need a treat now and then. The key to the blocks is getting them out early enough in the year to get a handle on the flies at the beginning of the season. ;-)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":ssmzb8i8 said:
Crowderfarms":ssmzb8i8 said:

I know they are a little pricey, but I feel that by reducing the fly population they are cost effective.Besides, the girls need a treat now and then. The key to the blocks is getting them out early enough in the year to get a handle on the flies at the beginning of the season. ;-)
I'd like to see some real "test" proof that Rabon blocks have any measureable effects on Fly population, and proliferation. Sure we sell em' but I'm beginning to think it's one more product pick pocketing us...

Crowderfarms":1ed50cpp said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1ed50cpp said:
Crowderfarms":1ed50cpp said:

I'd like to see some real "test" proof that Rabon blocks have any measureable effects on Fly population, and proliferation. Sure we sell em' but I'm beginning to think it's one more product pick pocketing us...

I can only tell you what I have experienced.It obviously does not get rid of all the flies, but it is not as bad when I use the blocks.I have had better luck with the blocks than using a rub or spending the time and energy to get my cows up to be sprayed.I have also used the rabon by the sack(pricy) to add to range meal,etc.In my experience it does make a difference when using the blocks eary on as opposed to times in the past when I was late getting them out. ;-)

While i cannot offer any scientifally proof that the fly population has lessened since I started using the blocks with rabon in them i can offer a statement made by my wife that basically states "the fly's do not seem to be as bad the past couple of years"
Even my city slicker DIL made comments to that fact.
Using that as proof I will continue to use them until some one can convince me they are useless as teats on a turkey :D :D

We've used the rabon blocks for several years and had started doubting their effectiveness. So this spring we decided we wouldn't put them out this year. I can tell we have more flys than the last few years but only about 50% more. (How do we measure or even estimate these things? But we do.) But of course we're also exceptionally dry so that may have more to do with it this year than the blocks. All the signs and evidence are there if only I was smart enough to properly interpret what they are telling me.

Cuz

We've fed loose mineral with IGR or Rabon for years, seems to help.
hen I mopved the cows this morning I saw that they were out of minerals, had kind of expected it since they were in the same pasture a couple of days longer then I thought they would be, plus the fly wipe wass out of juice. Apparantly had been for a couple of days. I noticed as the cows went by that some had a pretty good number of flys, 100 or so, but that's a SWAG. Others had only a very few, a couple only had maybe a half dozen or so. Other then the calves faces from spilled milk, the calves fly load pretty much matched the fly load of the cow. I'm giving some thought to using fly load as another final decision point when it comes to retaining heifers. Of course Pedro didn;t have any flys on him but maybe that comes from sniffing pee and being so active checking out the ladys.

I have seen a move away from Rabon to IGR. Rabon has some fly resistance to it but IGR has not shown any resistance to date.

Latest posts