Fly Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

MountainFarmChar

Reaction score
For those who have used the mineral fly blocks, what kind of success have you experienced?

I realize fly sprays and rubs are really treating the effect more than the cause and I would like to get away from those methods as much as possible.

Sunny roads,
MFC

They work ok, but it's a lot easier to just use a loose mineral with the stuff in it. Since you have to have the minerals out anyway, it kills 2 birds with one stone. It's pricey, but cheaper then using the blocks.
Controlling flies isn;t a one step process. Sanitation, elimination of we/muddy spots, fly wipes or sprays plus the treated mienrals are all part of the equation

dun":1ejd9nca said:
They work ok, but it's a lot easier to just use a loose mineral with the stuff in it. Since you have to have the minerals out anyway, it kills 2 birds with one stone. It's pricey, but cheaper then using the blocks.
Controlling flies isn;t a one step process. Sanitation, elimination of we/muddy spots, fly wipes or sprays plus the treated mienrals are all part of the equation

Yes, I realize it will not eliminate spraying, etc. but if using the blocks would effectively reduce spraying I would be satisfied. Sanitation is not a problem at all in my situation.

Replies appreciated,
MFC

If you got the land, practice more rotation. If you can keep them out of a pasture for 45 days and in a pasture no longer than 3 you can kill the life cycle.

3MR":2ylwhfrt said:
If you got the land, practice more rotation. If you can keep them out of a pasture for 45 days and in a pasture no longer than 3 you can kill the life cycle.

I appreciate the recommendation, but that is not really an option for my situation.

MFC

Me either, I figured out once I would need over 1500 acres per 100 head.

3MR":ryax0qba said:

Am I reading that right? You need 15 pastures and you can eliminate spraying?

Cuz

kyblockhead":162fz5gr said:
Why is it easier to feed loose mineral than blocks? It's just different forms.

There is a much better likelyhood that they will get adequate with the loose compared to the blocks. Takes a long time for a cow to lick 2-4 ounces a day off of a block.

kyblockhead":3h56pqe5 said:
Why is it easier to feed loose mineral than blocks? It's just different forms.

Vet told me a long time a go that a cow would wear the skin off her tongue before she'd get what she needed from a block.

Many feeding trials show that blocks can provide very consistent intake of minerals to livestock. Several medications such as Bovatec, Rumensin, CTC, Bloat Guard (poloxalene) as well as pesticides like Altosid and Rabon are available in block form. FDA approved medications require 3 years worth of feeding trials to prove consistent intake on those products occur before they are approved. The comment about wearing out a cow's tongue may be accurate regarding a salt block but I'm referring to a mineral block. I have heard more complaints about erratic intake on loose minerals than I have about blocks. Some loose mineral just isn't very palatable.

I kicked up the availability of molasses tubs with IGR this year and spray a little peppermint oil once a month and at most have only seen a dozen or less horn flys per cow. Best results in a long while.

Now theres something I havent heard of using.. peppermint oil.
I kinda figure flys are just going to be around no matter how much you treat them. I spray, use backrubbers, and they are still around.. just not as much as if I didnt use anything though. Its just part of the cattle business in the warm months.

kyblockhead":zirtq9ea said:
Many feeding trials show that blocks can provide very consistent intake of minerals to livestock. Several medications such as Bovatec, Rumensin, CTC, Bloat Guard (poloxalene) as well as pesticides like Altosid and Rabon are available in block form. FDA approved medications require 3 years worth of feeding trials to prove consistent intake on those products occur before they are approved. The comment about wearing out a cow's tongue may be accurate regarding a salt block but I'm referring to a mineral block. I have heard more complaints about erratic intake on loose minerals than I have about blocks. Some loose mineral just isn't very palatable.

Has anyone used the blocks with Bloat Guard medication?

MFC

MountainFarmChar":3artnbyd said:
Has anyone used the blocks with Bloat Guard medication?

MFC

We had s very small pen tat was over 90% clover that we turned 3 up close heifers into. Put uot a bloat block. They ate the holw thing in 4 days. Didn;t have a problem with bloat but one of the heifers calved the second day.

I always have a few calves during the summer that experience some bloating. It's never developed into a problem but if I could make some treated blocks available for them that would prevent this, then I'm for doing it.

MFC

MountainFarmChar":38nm7aa9 said:
I always have a few calves during the summer that experience some bloating. It's never developed into a problem but if I could make some treated blocks available for them that would prevent this, then I'm for doing it.

MFC

You gota remember that they'll eat the things like candy and they ain;t cheap. The only reason we used one is we had it sitting around for 5-6 years and decided to get rid of it and that seemed a good time and place

dun":3easw2f1 said:
MountainFarmChar":3easw2f1 said:

MFC

You gota remember that they'll eat the things like candy and they ain;t cheap. The only reason we used one is we had it sitting around for 5-6 years and decided to get rid of it and that seemed a good time and place

Since I never have a bloating issue with the cows, maybe if the blocks were placed in a calf feeder so the cows couldn't get to it they would last a lot longer? Surely the calves alone wouldn't consume that much, or would they?

MFC