Florida hay question, need some answers??

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
I've only been to Florida a couple of times so I'm not familar at all with the state or anything ag. related down there.

I do have a friend (very wealthy) that lives in the southern part of the state on 75 acres and they have horses an llamas.

Their problem is they can't find good "horse quality hay" for the animals. They tell me none of the animals will eat the costal bermuda so right now they are buying small square bales of what they think is alfalfa or just a good grass mix for $17.50 each!!

The people as you may guess are very wealthy but even they don't like paying so much for hay.

Guess my question is does anyone know any hay producers in the southern part of the state I could refer them to?

The folks said they would love to buy large amounts to do them but even stored inside it rots. Is there a secret down there to keeping hay "fresh" for picky animals.

I have no idea why they don't graze more except for the fact they don't even pretend to ranch or farm.

Thanks,

J

I'm not far from the Florida line. From what it sounds to me they are not getting good dried hay if it is rotting in the barn - or the barn leaks. I have seen some of the "big guys" who are producing hay for shipment to Florida and I must say a lot of what I have seen I wouldn't feed to a goat. One fella even dyes the hay green. There are a lot who are buying whatever round bales they can get then unrolling them and square baling them. There are however many good hay producers here and if you would like a name of a guy who does a beutiful job PMI me and I'll get you a number. I think your friend would be pleased.

Good horse hay has to be imported down here. I know folks who buy semi loads at a time out of Canada. I never ask how they get hooked up because mine eat coastal just fine. The lady up the street pays $17-$20/bale for T/A and if it has one weed stalk in it she throws it out. She sets it a side for me and I pick it up once a week. My horses think they are getting special treats when I give it to them.

As far as your friend with 75 acres. They actually shouldn't have to feed hay if they have good forage in the fields. Years ago when I had horses at the farm, that is all they got was grass from the fields. They did just fine on it too.

Joegeephus, these folks are not far from Miami. Still think you may have a hay supplier for them?

Flaboy, agree with the grazing part of your post and I've tried talking about it with them but as you may guess with 75 or so acres near Miami with each acre valued at over 1 million they are not big into "ranching". They got some horses, goats, and llamas.

Think they do it all for an ag. exemption. Would have a problem with that but have heard of too many people going down there and claiming to be some kind of church and not having to pay taxes, least these folks are doing some kind of ag. stuff and they enjoy it.

Is there a secret to keeping hay fresh/good in that climate? They claim bugs and rot get their hay real fast. Their barns are nicer than most homes us "normal" folks would live in. Just trying to give them some advise on buying and storing hay so I'm needing to hear from people that live down there.

J

If they have a good barn, the hay should keep for a year or two at least. It sounds to me like the hay they have been getting is being put up at a moisture level over 15%. When you put it in the barn, the level will typically go up another 2% thus getting the rot. For horse hay, I'm told it is best to put it up at 12% moisture and this will allow for the 2% increase and still be under 15%.

After reading your post, I called Dwight and he said he was asking $3.5 per square bale. He has semitrucks and can truck it at $2.5 a mile. I think he said his trucks hold 650 bales but I'm not sure. If they would like to talk with him I can get you his number.

He raises Tift 77 (I think) I know it is a lot like Russell anyway. It is all irrigated and tested. Its running 15%. He is a big producer and does a real good job from what I have seen.

I don't know how far it would be to Miami or how much the freight would end up being. You could estimate the miles from Valdosta Georgia to where they live and add another twenty miles.

Let me know if they would like to call him and I'll get his number from the office.

PS. I don't know much about horse hay but I have done some work for this guy and he is a perfectionist. I know 6 big producers and he is the one that I am sure doesn't cut corners if you know what I mean.

I don't know about the bug thing. But he probably does since he is originally from Florida. He sold his orange groves or something and came this way and got in the hay business in a big way.

I typically have hay left over each year that I carry to the next year. My hay barns are far from air tight. One has a roof and two sides the other is just a big ol tin barn with one end open due to it falling down but the roof over the hay storage area does not leak.

I have never worried about bugs. Never really noticed them in the hay. I do store mine off of the ground a few inches but that won't stop a bug. My horse hay stays in the old barn and I have never had a complaint from the horse about bugs in it. :lol:

Being that far south it's had to say what might crawl up in their hay. I suspect there is bugs in every bale of hay. I don't think they all escape the baler.

My opinion is if kept under a dry roof there is no reason hay won't last a couple years and be good enough for most horses. I have fed 5 year old bales to the cows and they love it. You gotta be more careful what ya feed a horse though.

Thanks for taking time to reply guys. Have passed the information along to the folks but guess they are still fine with putting out $17 small square bales as I've not heard back from them.

J

Latest posts