Flehmen Response

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
In case you didn't know what it was called: :lol:

The flehmen response, also called the flehmen position, flehmen reaction, flehming, or flehmening, is a particular type of curling of the lips in ungulates, felids, and many other mammals, which facilitates the transfer of odorant chemicals into the vomeronasal organ. In the flehmen reaction, animals draw back their lips in a manner that makes them appear to be "grimacing". The pose, which is adopted when examining scents left by other animals of the same species, helps expose the vomeronasal organ and draws scent molecules back toward it. This behavior allows animals to detect odorants, for example from urine, of other members of their species. Flehming allows the animals to determine several factors, including the presence or absence of estrus, the physiological state of the animal, and how long ago the animal passed by. This particular response is most recognizable in stallions when smelling the urine of a mare in heat.

MikeC-

Good post! It may seem that most livestock people would know this information, however it is my opinion that at least 50% of those who read this were not aware of the name of the action. It is valuable information to know, as it can save time in determining heat periods in cattle (and horses!), and make it easier to explain to kids and the uninformed.

DOC HARRIS

I did know the purpose of this action, but I didnt know the proper name. Good information to have. Thanks.

I found that out this summer before our National Classic. I was glad I had, because it was on our herdsman test. lol. There is only one reason I remember that too, my friend lives in Flehming Ohio. lol. haha.

The best example you will ever see is on an old billie goat. I swear they could lick their own eyebrows with their upper lip.

Latest posts