Fleckvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

We've used SSS-SCF AUTOBAHN 020G (purebred Fleck) on Granny for years and have been really pleased with the results. Still have 2 units of him left.

Dun,

SSS-SCF Autobahn 020G is not a full fleck bull. He is a half Fleck Purebred.

VLS_GUY":3uqxtcku said:
Dun,

SSS-SCF Autobahn 020G is not a full fleck bull. He is a half Fleck Purebred.
Thus the parenthesis containing the word purebred

if i get a bull with high birth weight on my cows then his daughters will be able to handle anything. what would you say is the biggest birth weight 1200 pound cows could handle? dont know how to post pictures :help: but my cows look like the Xbred ones of gizmoms

Cross breeder #1":3anjki0r said:
if i get a bull with high birth weight on my cows then his daughters will be able to handle anything. what would you say is the biggest birth weight 1200 pound cows could handle? dont know how to post pictures :help: but my cows look like the Xbred ones of gizmoms
Not necessarily so. Some of those high BW bulls daughters may also throw high birthweights and if they happen to have a smallish pelvic opening you're begging problems. That's the reson there are EPDs for both direct calving ease and offspring calving ease.

ok your right but that is likely to be true. what would a fleck crossed with a rotokowa devon look like? i might just buy a full fleck heifer

dun":3h1fnc7w said:
Cross breeder #1":3h1fnc7w said:
Not necessarily so. Some of those high BW bulls daughters may also throw high birthweights and if they happen to have a smallish pelvic opening you're begging problems. That's the reson there are EPDs for both direct calving ease and offspring calving ease.

how about this guy? he's in canada
http://www.bar5.com/animals/bulls/latco.htm

Cross Breeder,

The ad doesn't tell much about the bull except his South African Pedigree. If he is a typical South African bull expect high birth weights and average growth with good muscle.
In my opinion the bulls I listed are better choices. Another good choice is: htthttp://www.bar5.com/animals/circle3b ... nson19.htm Note his 88 LB birth weight.

dun":k6ua6zue said:
Massey135":k6ua6zue said:
no doubt they have more to offer than just looks. Find you some females that are in the 13-1400 range and you'll have some that will be as good a cow as any. Put you a good terminal bull over those high milking moderate frame cows and youll always bring a good product to town..

A question: In the brinkgenetics link- they refer to the Flecks as a "strain" of the Simmentals. They look like what I call, and will always call, a Simmental. Is there a difference between Fullblood Simmentals and Fleckviehs?
Don;t ever call a Fleckvieh a Simmenthal to a Fleck breeder. Pie Rouge, Montbeliard, Fleckvieh, and several others are lumped together as strains of Simmenthal

The way I read it, they called themselves Simmental. NO H. Though I am familiar with why you do include it. I've passed a few Simmental Ranches that had traditional looking Simmental and they were advertised as FULLBLOOD SIMMENTALS... you know on a sign type deal. What "strain" or whatever are these cattle that every cattleman I know refers to as Simmental?

Massey135":3lqxrkpr said:
The way I read it, they called themselves Simmental. NO H. Though I am familiar with why you do include it. I've passed a few Simmental Ranches that had traditional looking Simmental and they were advertised as FULLBLOOD SIMMENTALS... you know on a sign type deal. What "strain" or whatever are these cattle that every cattleman I know refers to as Simmental?
I'm old enough to remember when they first came in and were referred to as Simmenthal as they were and maybe still are called in europe. That's how I learned it and I'm too old to change now

Latest posts