fleas are bad this year

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone else having a problem? Frontline, adantage, etc have no affect. We even tried confortis, and that helped but didn't cut it. We got a guy coming out Friday to spray the main house/yard area. There isn't a stich of carpet in the house and only 1 throw rug, but we still find them jumping on us now and again. I sure hope the yard spraying takes care of em because this is the worst I've ever seen

We use injectable Ivomec for our two dogs - Miniature Schnauzer & Australian Cattle Dog. I would not recommend it to everyone, some dogs cannot have it. Been using this method for many, many years. (vet recommend) Takes care of heart worms, fleas, ticks & mites. Doesn't help your yard or house though.

hooknline":zk4uo8f1 said:
Tried that also. What a pain!
A good application of diatomaceous earth in, on, around and thru the yard, under the house and everywhere else should get them. Totally harmless except to insects. Rub it all over the dogs and cats especially. May have to repeat after a week.....cost about $20 a 50 lb. bag.

Thx. I just sprayed a pyrethim mix ( fly spray concentrate)on the main yard today and ill repeat in a week. Its the same stuff the pest guys would use, and relatively harmless to mammals. Reason for the 7 day repeat is because there's a new super fleas that lays every 7 days, so gotta keep ahead of the egg cycle. At least that's what my pest control friend told me. Total cost: about 1.50 in chemical and 1.00 in fuel

TexasBred":31y1d5p4 said:
hooknline":31y1d5p4 said:
Tried that also. What a pain!
A good application of diatomaceous earth in, on, around and thru the yard, under the house and everywhere else should get them. Totally harmless except to insects. Rub it all over the dogs and cats especially. May have to repeat after a week.....cost about $20 a 50 lb. bag.
I used to use diatomaceous earth in our aquarium, but where would you buy it bulk? Don't the organic growers "feed it" to their animals for deworming????
I have ants in my house. Been living here for over 30 years and NEVER had an ant. Thought I had them cleaned up, but found some more on the carpet. Bought Ant killer cups today!

hooknline":1kyp09vl said:
Thx. I just sprayed a pyrethim mix ( fly spray concentrate)on the main yard today and ill repeat in a week. Its the same stuff the pest guys would use, and relatively harmless to mammals. Reason for the 7 day repeat is because there's a new super fleas that lays every 7 days, so gotta keep ahead of the egg cycle. At least that's what my pest control friend told me. Total cost: about 1.50 in chemical and 1.00 in fuel
Yeah and fleas will burrow down in sand if you have any around the place. Really hard to get a 100% kill with first application of about anything. Hope you get'em tho.

DE can be bought at the pool supply store or some feed stores keep it in stock. You can get small pkgs. on the internet but it's sky high in price...Some folks put it in their feed rations thinking it will control internal parasites. Don't know if it works or not but in theory it should at least help some.

TB, my whole place is on a sand ridge! I would do the de route, but my wife has too many butterfly caterpillars. If those all die, I'm dead. The label on the concentrate says nothin bout killing caterpillars. I hope its right

I have one indoor pet (cat) and I give ger a half Capstar tablet every 4 days. Kills fleas on her within 30 min...they literally fall off her dead. She's an indoor flea killing machine, costs less than $10 a month. So no matter bad they are outside, they don't survive in the house. Haven't seen 'em on the dogs outside, but I'm too busy picking ticks off to notice. DE helps in the barn, and I feed it to the dogs once a week, but the ticks won't quit. Getting guinea keets next week...

hooknline":3cozv258 said:

You might think about adding a bottle of Precor to that pyrethrin mix. It is a growth regulator that interrupts the life cycle of fleas and prevents them from reaching the adult stage.

hooknline":2l4hlh3v said:
TB, my whole place is on a sand ridge! I would do the de route, but my wife has too many butterfly caterpillars. If those all die, I'm dead. The label on the concentrate says nothin bout killing caterpillars. I hope its right

I would call the company first before I use it. Just to be on the safe side.

Everybody around here is talking about fleas are bad this year, but (knock wood) we haven't had any yet. One of the dogs is white and easy to check. No scratching and can't find any sign of fleas on them. Usually by now I have had to put on Frontline or Advantix. Wondering if having to mow our yard twice a week due to so much rain is destroying them?? We have free ranging chickens that work the yard, but fleas and their eggs are so tiny I don't see how they could be getting them.

Hard for people to believe - but we NEVER have ticks! If we travel to southern NY or PA our dogs get ticks - but we have never found a tick on them at home. NICE!!!! and, rarely get fleas until we go to a show. We've learned to pre-treat before heading out on a trip.
I can understand how DE might work on fleas if you put it ON the dogs & bedding, etc. - but, don't understand how it possibly could work FEEDING it to them??? It "could" work on worms (feeding)?

Sorry, this is Mrs. Hook, he's occupied at the time..please leave a message at the beep...............

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21j62cj7 said:
We use injectable Ivomec for our two dogs - Miniature Schnauzer & Australian Cattle Dog. I would not recommend it to everyone, some dogs cannot have it. Been using this method for many, many years. (vet recommend) Takes care of heart worms, fleas, ticks & mites. Doesn't help your yard or house though.
Use the poor on for cattle.
All of your flea killers, Advantage, Bio Spot, Frontline etc all have the same ingredient, Ivomectrin. (I might have spelled that wrong). You can buy Ivomectrin by the pint or quart for about $40.00. There is a generic name, Ivomec. I use Ivomec Pour On for my dogs and cats. There are large bottles of it because they use it on cows to kill worms.You don't have to go to your vet to buy it. It is very cheap, as you don't pay for fancy commercials on TV, or fancy packaging, or the Vet's amount he gets for selling it. You use 1 CC or 1 mil for every 10 lbs of animal. If you have a 5 lb cat, use 1/2 of a CC. You put it on the back of their necks, so they can't lick it. I bought a large bottle and it lasts forever. I treat my animals once a month. If you have an infestation, you can treat more frequently until all the flea eggs have hatched and died. It takes several weeks for the flea eggs to cyle., so don't give up. It kills fleas, ticks, intestinal worms, and ear mites. Those companies that sell it in little tubes are making an absolute fortune off you. So is your vet. That is why they make sure you have to have a prescription. Then you have to go through them, and they reap the profit.
I just found this on another forum and thought I would pass it along.
The trouble with diatomaceous earth is that the pets bring the fleas in from all over. You only kill them after they are on the pet.