flatbed help

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
The Flatbed on the new truck is a CM , I have ordered a couple of under boxes that hopefully will be in this week and I need to put some type of rail on it so I don't have to strap every single thing down . I have access to pretty much anything kind of steel . C Channel , hat channel , angle, pipe , ext. This is my first flatbed and I need opinion on what works the best , The PO has loops mounted to the bed and I am not sure if I am going to leave them in place or not.

I used bent 14ga plate 5" tall that slides into the stake pockets. I welded some small angles to it to where I can have a 2 x 6 moveable partition to adjust the amount of room in the bed. Hard to describe what I'm talking about but I have a tool box directly behind the cab, a 2 x 6 behind that and another in front of the trough where the ball is. This gives me some space behind the cab for buckets and straps and then another 18" or so space for feed sacks, shovels etc. This board can slice out and be moved to the rear to act as a tailgate.

bird dog said:
I used bent 14ga plate 5" tall that slides into the stake pockets. I welded some small angles to it to where I can have a 2 x 6 moveable partition to adjust the amount of room in the bed. Hard to describe what I'm talking about but I have a tool box directly behind the cab, a 2 x 6 behind that and another in front of the trough where the ball is. This gives me some space behind the cab for buckets and straps and then another 18" or so space for feed sacks, shovels etc. This board can slice out and be moved to the rear to act as a tailgate.

what did you build the stakes out of ??

I built mine out of aluminum 3" channel and 3/16 aluminum bright tread plate. Brake the top of the tread plate at 1 1/2" and weld to the channel to make a clean finish.
I very rarely miss having a flat bed.

They were also 14ga.. I bent the plate in kind of a j shape. Dimensions were 5 x 1 1/2 and another leg down 1 1/2. The stakes are in a c shape. The bend radius matches the stake pocket for fairly tight fit. The stakes were welded to the rail to where where the top would be capped by the horizontal bend. They are strong and stiff but don't weigh but about 20 lbs each and are easily removed.

They are pretty much like the ones you buy, just a little taller and have the angles for an adjustable bed space. I have been very pleased with them and get quite a few compliments. The 2 x6 directly behind the ball also helps with hookup. You can back up until you hit it, pull forward three inches and you will be over the ball if your alignment is right.

thank you, Thats kind of what I had envisioned with only exception of having some metal dividers instead of 2x6 . I Have access to a metal brake shop that can do anything I want.

Just need real world examples of what people have and like to build them right the first time.

M-5 said:
The Flatbed on the new truck is a CM , I have ordered a couple of under boxes that hopefully will be in this week and I need to put some type of rail on it so I don't have to strap every single thing down . I have access to pretty much anything kind of steel . C Channel , hat channel , angle, pipe , ext. This is my first flatbed and I need opinion on what works the best , The PO has loops mounted to the bed and I am not sure if I am going to leave them in place or not.

Look at the side rails on the Bradford bed. They should be pretty easy to attach. Only thing would be keeping them hooked in the raised position. You probable can find a latch to do that with.

http://www.bradfordbuilt.com/steel-workbed.html

M-5 said:
jehosofat said:
M-5 said:
The Flatbed on the new truck is a CM

The ones I sent you pics of are from CM, I doubt you can screw around building them for what they cost.

CM told me to contact trailer tex .

I looked in their catalog and have not found them yet

You want me to call my CM local dealer?

I sold a truck last summer that had a Hillsboro steel flatbed on it. It had a set of steel rails on each side that were I'm guessing 1" square tube for the top and bottom rail with a couple inches in between them. Had a bracket front and rear for a 2x6 as described above and 2 welded on hinges on either side so that they could be flipped down beside the bed or used upright. It was the best factory sideboard setup that I've seen on a flatbed, unfortunately the bed was attached to a flaming pile of dog sh*t truck so it went down the road before its time.

Dangit man, they shipped mine when I bought the bed so I didn't think about the freight. I looked this morning on my old invoice and they were 88 dollars.

M-5 said:
Yep, that is exactly what the dealer said . He unfortunately did not have a bed on order that he could tie it into.

Scrounge up a couple of old 2x4's for stakes and a 2x6 for rails and wait till the dealer can get them shipped cheap. Have you tried this place? They had 100's of flat beds.

https://www.bigtextrailerworld.com/trailers/11625/cm-sk-steel-skirted-truck-bed.html?inventory_id=11625&user_id=100240

Latest posts